how many days to recover and return to school

AmberF
on 8/14/12 7:11 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
So August 20th I have my consultation. I have already contaced my insurance company and they said that they will cover a revision surgery from band to bypass. My next break from school wont be until December 7th and I will have until January 7th off. I was thinking about trying to aim for then to get my surgery. However my insurance approved my lapband very very quickly and I was wondering if they approved it again really fast would I be able to get it sooner. I go to school monday-friday. I was thinking if I take thurday off to get the surgery and friday off (different classes on both days so I wouldnt be missing two of the same classes) and then having friday, saturday, and sunday to recover would I be able to return to school on monday? I only have class for 2 hours on monday. I was just wondering if that would be enough recovery time. I really would like to get it before december if I can but I cant miss alot of school. What do yall think?
Chelsey H.
on 8/14/12 7:28 pm - East Haddam, CT
I'd wait til Dec. you may feel good in a few days but more than likely you'll need a little more time than that. I am recovering quickly but at that point riding across town sitting in the car while my mom went in for groceries was exhausting.
Surgery Date 7/30/12 HW: 382, SW 358, GW: 150 
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"           

vmeyerw
on 8/14/12 7:33 pm - belfield, ND
it also depends on if you have any complications too , i had alot of complications and i was in and out of the hospital for 3 months . so i would wait til dec too . cause u never know what could happen!
Zeigled
on 8/14/12 8:25 pm - Parkton, MD
I needed a month....
HW 357 SW 341   

Dave Chambers
on 8/14/12 10:44 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I would NOT plan on that quick of a recovery. Even a month can be questionable for some post ops.  Fatigue, learning to drink fluids, getting enough protein, nausea, etc. may take weeks of not 2-3 months to recover from.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

LiciaLou
on 8/15/12 12:06 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Crazy I was just tossing this same problem around in my head.
I have tried like heck to have my surgery all summer & nothing came through right. Now when I am RIGHT there to have my surgery done ... My surgeon is on vacation for a week.

I go back to school on Aug 28th (I only have classes on Tu/Th but go for 6 hrs a day). I am thinking of scheduling my surgery for Thurs afternoon or Friday morning & then skipping classes on Tuesday of the following week. So that would give me almost a solid week before returning to class. If I had to I could miss Thursday too but idk if that will run me the risk of being withdrawn from the classes. Bleh! 

I know I should allow more time for recovery but I am pig headed & worry if I put this off until Dec that it won't happen. I guess we will see what happens & I'll let you know! Good luck! 

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

On2BetterThings
on 8/15/12 8:49 am - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
from my experience I think you would be fine to go to class as long as its not physical. I went to class the very next day after getting home from surgery, and I was fine. I brought my water bottle with me and just kept sipping through class. My class was 4 hours long.
    RNY 04*03*12

LiciaLou
on 8/15/12 8:59 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Thanks! That puts my mind at ease a lot. My classes are all lecture based. The only real issue is that my classes are spread out quite a bit (the location of the class room) but we are supposed to walk walk walk so I will get that in every 75 mins lol. I will let my teachers know what is going on so they don't rip me a new one if I'm a few mins late. I am soooo close to graduating & I already took the summer off in hopes of having surgery. I can't miss another semester.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

On2BetterThings
on 8/15/12 9:03 am - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
I let my teacher know that I was having surgery and that I might not come to class, but I ended up coming. I did not tell him what kind of surgery (thought it was awkward lol) but he was fine with it, didn't even ask for verification. Walking is good, so that wont be an issue!!

My classes are lecture based too, you'll be fine! No reason to miss class if you only have to sit and listen.. It's not that bad, just take a dose of medication to help you if you need it. I probably didn't need it, but I took it anyway.
    RNY 04*03*12

Waysta
on 8/15/12 7:54 am - TX
 I wasn't released to go back to work for 2 weeks, but I am old.......I did fine at that time.
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
Most Active
Recent Topics