help.....

gmdelacruz09
on 8/13/12 7:19 pm
 im binich eating... ive ate so much today all day..... how come i can im only 6 months out......  im down 82 pounds---- but im so scared has anyone gone through this :( 
Chihuahuan
on 8/13/12 7:24 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
Chalk it up to a one time lapse and don't beat yourself up about it.  Maybe sit and think about the past week and see if you can identify the trigger that set you off on the binge. Something stressful happen at home or work?  Once you identify what it is, you can work at combating it with some other coping mechanism.    Again, don't beat yourself up.  This happens to everyone at some point I'm sure.   The success is to not let it become a regular thing again and just isolate it to a one day lapse.

madeformore
on 8/13/12 8:03 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
I totally agree with the last post - figure out what set off the binge and deal with that so you don't let that trigger another one or a downhill spiral. You can change the direction of the binge at any moment and refuse to let it go any further.

As for how you can do this at 6 months out, WLS is a tool to help portion size mostly - so if you just keep eating all day, your stomach will allow that. Now if you tried to eat an entire gallon of ice cream in one short sitting, then your tool would kick in.

You can beat this! You've come so far and are stronger than you were when you started. Put down the food and distract yourself until the urge passes - or get out of the house if you need to! You can do this!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Ladytazz
on 8/13/12 8:05 pm
From what I  understand binge eating is considered an eating disorder.  It may be a one time thing or it may be the start, or continuation, of a serious behavior that will jeopardize your WLS and your health.  Weight loss surgery does not cure eating issues and failure to address them usually results in regain of weight and other problems.
Talk to your surgeon's office and see if they have any referrals for you as far as a counselor or program.  Please take this seriously.  You can stop it before it becomes to ingrained to deal with.  If you cannot afford counseling you can go to OA and get support there.  You are not the first person with WLS to go through this.  I know that I binged a lot with my first WLS, on of the reasons the surgery was a failure.  Having a revision wasn't to deal with my regain.  I was at the point where I felt totally out of control and beyond help.  I just wanted to get my health back due to complications of too much malabsorption.  A revision isn't a cure any more then the original surgery is.  I'm a firm believer that more attention needs to be given to people who are having WLS to delve into the reasons for the obesity and to address those issues along with the surgery.  It reminds me of when I was younger and I used to go to bed at night and pray that I would wake up thin.  One day I realized that even if by some miracle I did wake up thin I would soon be overweight again because of the way I ate.  It was the first time that I acknowledged that my weight problem wasn't the result of bad luck, that I ate the same as everyone else I just was cursed to gain weight when everyone else could eat what they wanted and not gain weight.  I finally realized that being obese wasn't a random condition that came out of nowhere, it was the direct result of the way I used food.  I didn't need some magic to make me a normal size, I needed help to make me a normal eater.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/13/12 8:28 pm - OH

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics