Pre Op diet with dizziness

ashleym6888
on 8/19/12 8:16 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
So my surgery is schedule august 30th and i was supposed to start liquid pre op diet last thursday. i started yesterday because im experiencing dizziness where i feel like my head is full of pressure and it wants to blow off.  I have tried broth, unsweetned tea, water, preimer protein shakes which have i believe close to 30g of protein and 170 calories. I just feel so overall sick and want to puke. Should i be worried? Is there anything i should eat. Im currently at 287 and haven't lost anything before surgery its kinda of getting me upset for following the rules. I used to experience dizziness a couple of months ago saw a ent and they gave me medication and thought it was menneries disease. I had over came it by drinking a lot of water and staying hydrated. Now i can't force myself to get it down.. Any suggestions on a pre op diet. Im also walking at night..

thanks
Carmen C.
on 8/19/12 8:34 pm
RNY on 08/08/12

Are you allowed to have any juice. I know a few days- I asked my nurse- because I was dizzy- she allowed juice- and that helped me get through..

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

ashleym6888
on 8/19/12 9:02 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
yeah am allowed juice i just haven't because i have been afraid cuz the sugar.
i will try a little bit of apple juice thank you..
what did you do with the pre op diet?? if you dont mind any suggestions are welcome
Mamazoune
on 8/20/12 4:35 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
I know the feeling!  I felt so weak during the pre-op diet that I had to take a week and half off work because I litterally almost fell asleep at the wheel and was also dizzy.  I called the nutritionist who told me that  that I had to drink 4 optifast shakes during my day and drink lots of water....I had to do this for 3.5 weeks pre-op and it was disgusting.  Liquid diet only....the idea is to shrink your liver to make surgery safer.  There are different schools of thought on the pre-op diets, it seems that every Dr. is different.  The one size fits all instructions for a liquid diet seem strange to me, there are different ways to shrink your liver but you should probably talk to your Dr. if it`s that bad.   Are you still taking your medication for dizziness?  You can do it though, it's just no pleasant.  Good Luck!
Mamazoune                
Jenn D.
on 8/20/12 7:08 am - CT
RNY on 01/29/13
At my last attempt with dieting on my own, I went on a liquid diet. Ended up in the ER after dizzy spells that then progressed into numbness in my limbs. Turns out I am allergic to something in the protein mix!
Becuase of that, now we are going through each brand of protein mix to find out if there is one that I can tolerate before I have surgery.
Good luck to you and I hope it gets better!
Jenn
Most Active
Recent Topics