Synthroid and other vitamins

Kimberly E.
on 8/21/12 9:54 pm - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
My question is for anyone who is currently taking Synthroid and is post surgery.  I have officially entered my pre-op diet phase and I am trying to type out a medication/vitamin schedule for after my surgery (Sept. 5th...YAY)!  I have been taking Synthroid for 11 years now and I am very familiar with it, but I am trying to figure out the best schedule to get in all of my vitamins because of all of the rules that go along with Synthroid.  For example, I cannot take calcium until 4 hours after taking Synthroid.  In addition, my three calcium doses should be spread out at least 4 hours from each other.  Can anyone tell me what you think of this schedule and if there is any way to simplify it?  Thank so much!

8:00 AM Synthroid Allegra 9:00 AM Multi                 B-12 12:00 PM                 Calcium 4:30 PM                 Calcium                 Vit D 9:00 PM Multi                Calcium             10:30 PM        Iron Vit C  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/21/12 10:12 pm - OH
My solution is to take my Synthroid (and my one other prescription med) right before I go to bed.  It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Gail S.
on 8/22/12 5:18 am - New York, NY
That'a great idea! I too struggle with the synthroid problem. Maybe I'll start that. Thanks Lora!

Kimberly E.
on 8/22/12 7:34 am - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
Thank you for responding!  I have always been told to take my Synthroid in the morning on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before food.  Are your labs for your thyroid always where they should be even though you take it at night?  I would much rather take it right before bed.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/12 11:20 am - OH
My labs have been just fine since taking it at night instead of in the morning.  My PCP and pharmacist both said it made no difference when you take it and I have been on it since 1989 (and am on my third PCP since then) and had never heard of taking it only in the morning until a couple of people here mentioned it.  I always had taken it in the morning just because I was less likely to forget it that way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Selenan101
on 8/21/12 10:24 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 I take synthroid daily as you do.  The only problem is they don't want you taking a multi within 4 hours of synthroid.  Here's my schedule and please keep in kind I work 2nd shift

12pm: synthroid
4pm: multi, calcium, d3
6/6:30pm: multi, calcium
8-9pm: calcium
11pm: iron, vit c
 Selenan 

Kimberly E.
on 8/22/12 7:35 am - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
Thank you for responding.  I did not know that I had to wait 4 hours before taking the multi.  Good information!

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 10:37 pm - OH
I'm having a little trouble reading your schedule.  If it helps you, though, your calcium doses only need to be two hours apart, not four.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kimberly E.
on 8/22/12 7:38 am - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
Yay!  That makes it a little bit easier Kelly.  Thank you for responding.  I am sorry that my schedule is not legible.  I copied and pasted it from a Word document and it looked good on my end, but when I pulled it up after responses it was all jumbled...lol...not sure what happened.

wmamey
on 8/21/12 11:06 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
I take synthroid as well. It needs to be taken on an EMPTY stomach and no other meds an hour before or an hour after taking it. Preferrably in the morning for those on a normal schedule. I work 7pm-7am so I take mine in the evening before heading to work. I have taken it for  years my numbers are perfect and have not needed a dosage adjustment. I was told that after weight loss I may need an adjustment.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 327 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 327 views