Surgery in 6 days

ashleym6888
on 8/24/12 8:17 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 I'm very nervous I just told my family tonight and got mixed feelings from them all. I'm scared because I'm a nurse so I know how the or and recovery room is.  My anxiety is very hard. Should I be this scared ?
cajungirl
on 8/24/12 8:21 pm
What you are feeling is normal.. Sure there could be complications, the chances are there stastically you won't be one of them.

Being a nurse I'm sure you know more than the average Joe. You selected your surgeon for a reason. Trust your decision.

Best wishes.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/12 8:44 pm, edited 8/24/12 1:45 am
It's always worse when you work in the medical field! You are much more aware of how the human body works, how surgery works. Because of this knowledge our mind gets carried away. I am 59 and had my surgery in May and I still was a wreck. Yes you are so normal in your feelings and emotions right now. The week before surgery I requested from my doctor a week's worth of Xanax to help me get through until surgery was over. I believed it saved me from having high anxiety. I have never had surgery and let me tell you, my mind was going every which way. Happy one minute crying the next. One minute I was going to have the surgery, the next minute I was going to cancel it. I was all over the place. Took me a year to complete my process and even though I received alot of wonderful info, I believe a year was too much to wait and think about surgery at least for me. Talk to your PCP and tell him what is going on. You may not want the option of meds for a short time but I feel it helped me tremendously. Having the surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. So I wish you the best. Come on here 50 times a day if you have to for support. We will be here. Jane
ashleym6888
on 8/24/12 10:05 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 Thanks so much I'm 24 and this is my first surgery.  I appreciate the support. I have xanex and I see a therapist the day before surgery to help me out. I started this process last October I guess it was a Long rode too long. I have felt yes and no about canceling all day. I'm going to stay strong I know I will feel much better in the end 
moet321
on 8/24/12 9:05 pm
 What's your opinion as a nurse about the OR and Recovery?

Small changes today will impact the results I receive tomorrow...Taking this journey one day at a time ;) Moët 

Surgery Date 9/12/2012         
ashleym6888
on 8/24/12 10:01 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 To be honest some surgical techs mess around in the operating room and sometimes they bring students through and show them other organs as the patient is out. It's scary because you never know what goes on or who was in the room. And with the recovery room people wake up either very confused very  angry or super emotional   I've experienced some horrible caring nurses in the recovery room before hence why I chose the hospital where I'm going but nervous too cuz the college students go there for clinicals for the community college for rn program.  I hate pain Meds and the thought of a catheter. 
undutchable
on 8/25/12 3:11 am
I can relate! I'm a Canadian living in Holland about to undergo my GBP on the 29th. I've just found this site and was snooping around when I ran acrossed your post. I haven't told my family as they live on the other side of the world and I don't want to worry them and my group of friends that know are quite small but they are all VERY supportive! We can be worried about our surgery, I think it's normal, but if we didn't do something like this, we'd need to be worried about the consequences of obesity which (I don't know statistics but...) are probably a much higher risk than the surgery!  Best of luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views