Fage (or Chobani) vs Yoplait, et al

Frances S.
on 8/30/12 9:33 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I'm really NOT a natural foods nut ... but I've been a Fage loyal ever since I read their ingredients two years ago...

Get ready ...

It's quite the list..

Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei).

That's it folks.  Milk and cultures.  

And for one container -- 20 grams of protein.

Now take a look at Yoplait's  Greek yogurt:
    Milk, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, corn Starch

One container: 12 grams of protein.

It's regular yogurt thickened with corn starch.

If you google "yoplait greek yogurt ingredients" you'll see they're even being SUED.  The fact of the matter is that Yoplait is trying to get on the greek yogurt band wagon cheaply and not really providing greek yogurt.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/30/12 9:38 am - Baltimore, MD
I don't do Yoplait but THANK YOU for pointing this out. I am sort of a Greek yogurt snob. I think the only way to get GREEK yogurt is to buy it from a GREEK company: Fage, Chobani, Oikos. Those types.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Frances S.
on 8/30/12 9:41 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I live in the sticks, and when I first moved here the only "greek" yogurt I could find was this strange brand called "Greek Gods".  OMG, it was awful.. way too watery and I noticed right away the protein content wasn't right.  I'm thankful out Wal-mart finally started carrying Fage and my local store finally has Chobani plain in 0 and 2%.  I'm going to try making my own too, which, just takes milk and a couple tablespoons of yogurt from the store for your first culture -- after that you just use your own yogurt for the culture.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/30/12 9:47 am - Baltimore, MD
 Yeah I've read about yogurt making. The whole keeping the thing at a certain temperature for like 8 hours...I could see calamity there in my household. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Neen L.
on 8/30/12 10:46 am - Arlington, VA
Hi Frances! I have been making yogurt for awhile and it is very easy. I put up a tutorial here: http://neensnotes.com/2010/03/10/project-yogurt-fun-with-fer mentation/

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Frances S.
on 8/30/12 10:52 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Awesome tutorial.  Thanks!
fatfreemama
on 8/30/12 10:08 am - San Jose, CA
Yeah, saw yogplait and laughed. I like Fage best (easiest to get out of the container too) but if I can't find Fage, I'll get Chobani.
Bralen
on 8/30/12 10:17 am
I just found this out the other day. My husband bought the Yoplait Greek. I took one bite and knew something was wrong. It doesn't even taste like Greek yogurt.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
cor p99
on 8/30/12 10:21 am
Agree with everyone...Fage is the best! Nothing else comes close.
macjuicy
on 8/30/12 10:32 am - FL
FAGE!

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Most Active
Recent Topics