5 years out, doing great I thought, high B6

HollyBear
on 9/8/12 7:47 pm
 Hi all, for you vitamin gurus out there, I had several labs drawn two months ago by a neurologist due to cluster headaches just to rule out other conditions...everything came back good...I still keep up every 6 months on  the standard labs.  This time however they ran a  B6 which came back high, the normal range for the lab is 20 to 125 mine was 196.2 so the neurologist had me stop all suppliments with any B6 in it for 2 months and retest...crazy thing, newest test result, same normal range, new result 219.1. Of course I am following up Monday with a call to the office, his note says to stop all suppliments (some people).
Have any of you heard of a RNY'er with high B6 levels before?  Not overly worried, more just curious since we are supposed to malabsorb vitamins...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/12 8:24 pm - OH
All of the b vitamins are water soluble and therefore most of the excess gets excreted rather than stored in the body, so you may just be getting too much from the foods you are eating.  I'm certainly no expert on which foods contain which itaminv, but I do know that meat and whole grains have high levels of B6.

Also, we absorb much more of some vitamins than others, since different vitamins are absorbed in different sections of the intestine.  The B vitamins are absorbed a bit lower down than some, so we adpbsorb more of tjoe than calcium or Vit A/D/E, and, depending on exactly what portion of your intestine is bypassed, you may be absorbing more of teh Bs than others since they are absorbed in the area whe the bypass generally ends.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 9/8/12 8:26 pm
My B6 was a bit  high a while back, 161.  I was told to cut my B complex to every other day and 6 months later it was 135.  My doctor wasn't concerned at all because the body will get rid of the excess through urine.  My B1 was also too high and it went down after I stopped the B complex.
I actually did cut out the B complex since it seems to be unnecessary.  Of course I still do the B12 shots.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 9/8/12 9:34 pm - OH
So he wants you to stop everything with B6 in it?  So that means stopping your multi, too?  Because that seems rather unwise to me.  Please don't consider this medical advice, and maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.  But if I had to choose between my B6 being high or my vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin E, zinc, copper, selenium etc. being low, I'd pick the high B6.  And if you don't take a multi, I imagine you will end up with deficiencies in a whole bunch of things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 9/9/12 6:11 am
 Kelly high B6 to the extent the OPs is can be toxic. I would recommend she track her other ranges and supplement those of concern with individual vits. Yes they are water soluable but read the toxic affects of B1 and B6. 

A month or so without multis to bring the B6 down just much more reasonable IMO then facing the negative effects of it too high. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

cajungirl
on 9/9/12 6:07 am
There are two B vitamins that you have to watch "more closely" for toxticity. B1 and B6. I WOULD be concerned for me with my B6 that high and I would temporarily listen to your doctor. You can Google and find info on this. Even though they are water soluable be very careful.

I've had both too high before and went about a month without anything with B in it mine came down. This was 2 years ago, now I'm having to take additional B6 because mine is low. Will be testing again in a couple of weeks.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

HollyBear
on 9/9/12 3:44 pm
 Thanks for the reply...I'm going "cold turkey" off all my multi  vitamin for the next month at least and will have it rechecked again in about 6 weeks.  I would rather have to bring my other vitamins up, than struggle with long term issues from toxity poisioning from the B6.  I really appreciate the common sense approach to your words of the immediate concern.   :) 
Laura in Texas
on 9/9/12 6:08 am
My B6 is also a bit high. I do not take a B-complex so the only B6 I get is in my multi or in food. I don't worry about it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

HollyBear
on 9/9/12 3:46 pm
 Thanks for all the replies, I am going to hold off of the multi for a month and have the B6 as well as my B1 retested at that time...I will probably request a full round of the vitamins to be tested at that time as well since they will be drawing.  I will continue  my twice monthly B12 injections.
Have a great week everyone!
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 4:54 pm
Mine is high too at 86, but yours is WAY WAY high and you need to get it down.

I wouldn't stop taking a multi, but I'd switch to Centrum which has only about 100% of the RDA. I was on a multi that had 5000% of my RDA for B6! And then I was getting extra B6 from my B12 supplement and even more B6 from a menstrual cramp supplement! I was saturated in the stuff. I bet your multi is loaded. If not, if you're on centrum or its equivalent already, then yes, stop. You can take other vitamins separately, but the potential for nerve damage at your level of B6 is just too great.
Most Active
Recent Topics