Hair Loss & Nioxin

jojo3283
on 9/10/12 8:06 am - OK
Soo I am a little over a year out. I have had hair loss since about month 4 or 5. I do take Biotin everyday. But recently my hair has gone for the worst. It is breakin & falling out like crazy the worst that it has been since surgery. I have alway had thin hair but had a lot of but but now it is going away. Has anyone tried Nioxin.. what are your failures & successes with this product?

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135                  

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/12 8:16 am
It's up to you of course, but I'd say save your money. Your hair will grow back. How's your vitamins and protein intake? I didn't have an issue with thinning and dry, brittle hair until my iron got really low.

Too much biotin, by the way, can cause cystic acne and there's not much research to support its use in helping thinning hair. It does play a part in helping regrowth, but I wouldn't take large doses of it. I think 100% or 200% RDA in a multi would suffice.
Cheryl C.
on 9/10/12 12:05 pm - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
It'll do WONDERS for your ladystache....Tom Selleck will be jealous!

Cher    

exohexoh
on 9/10/12 4:08 pm - West Chester, PA
 my sister's neighbor is a hairdresser and swears by it, so she got me some with her license discount cheap. from what i understand it doesn't actually make your hair grow back, but makes the shafts thicker. i've been using it for a few weeks now and i see a small difference, but don't know that i would necessarily buy it again. although i do like the tingly feeling the shampoo gives my scalp, but my hair feels drier so i've been only using their conditioner every other wash and using a regular moisutrizing one the other half. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Candy V.
on 9/10/12 7:21 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
I am still pre-op (wednesday is my date) For what it's worth- I am very concerned about the hair loss. My hair is the ONLY thing I like about my looks.lol I asked my NUT about it and she told me it has more to do with sufficient protein intake that any other factor. Keep your protein up. Best of luck to you.
Candy

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

PositivelyPammy
on 9/10/12 7:30 pm - CO
RNY on 07/16/12
I wouldn't waste your money on Nioxin.  I have REALLY thin hair.  I used all their products exclusively for like 5 years when I first started losing it and it didn't stop my hair loss or cause any regrowth...  It smells really good, but that's it.  All my hairstylists say... OH you should try Nioxin... been there done that.  Doesn't work.  ... At least for me.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/10/12 8:17 pm - OH
I wouldn't bother. Even people who notice any difference with the Nioxin (which will NOT prevent the telogen effluvium from happening, but might help diminish the NORMAL hair loss that we all have) will lose the benefit once they stop using it. Are you getting all your protein and getting some healthy fat in your diet? Both of those things can affect hair health and breakage. What about your vitamins? Many vitamin deficiencies affect the hair (zinc and iron especially).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jojo3283
on 9/11/12 1:03 pm - OK
Anything else that anyone woule recommend? I do take biotin every day as well as iron with my reg daily vitamins and do deep conditioning treatment once a week ????

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135                  

Most Active
Recent Topics