steroids??

icnside
on 9/9/12 11:10 am - Chesapeake, VA
Since we can't take NSAIDS, what about steroids? I have bursitis in my hip and I will be traveling to Las Vegas for business in November. I can't sit for extended periods of time (6 hour flight), without it flaring up. Once it flares up, it lasts a few days and also makes it hard to walk. I have taken short courses of steroids in the past to help with much success. What about now? Anybody have any experience with this?

wmamey
on 9/9/12 11:21 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I am currently on steroids for back issues, along with it I am on Protonix a PPI - proton pump inhibitor which will help protect against ulcers.
No where does is say we can NEVER take these medications again. You need supervised medical treatment when taking these medications and also the addition of meds like mentioned above. Talk with your surgeon about it.
Some here will tell you that you can NEVER take it, it is just not so if monitored properly and YOU as the patient have to be aware that other meds are needed with it. Additionally, you should also know what symptoms to look for SHOULD a problem arise.
Definitely an individualized need and choice but needs a doctors supervision.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/12 11:34 am - OH
Yes, we can take steroids.  As the PP said, we also CAN take short courses of NSAIDs along with a PPI when an NSAID is medically necessary. The PPI is no guarantee that you won't still get an ulcer, but it limits the chance.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laurie C.
on 9/9/12 4:17 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

BUT keep in mind, steroids make you hungry.

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Most Active
Recent Topics