Surgical Glue??? And Lower right side pain??

Sarah C.
on 9/13/12 11:10 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Okay, I am 8 days post op (woohoo!!) and the surgical glue over my incisions is driving me BANANAS!  it's peeling (mostly on its own) and i keep clipping it to keep it from snagging on my clothes, but does anyone have any idea how long it takes this stuff to come off on its own?  Or should I wait until my post-op appt next Thursday and let the doctor remove it?  I do NOT want any infections, so I don't want to remove it on my own, but i find myself scratching at it sometimes. 

Second, has anyone experienced extreme (to the point of yelping) pain on the lower RIGHT side following surgery?  I have had it since surgery and have already mentioned it to the doc who had me go for a CT of that area, but it was clear.  He changed my pain meds since the others weren't donig anything for me, but this one isn't either.  it is not near my incision sites and it feels very muscular, but it hurts. SO BAD.  Fortunately, it isn't a constant pain anymore.  but deep breaths, turning over in bed, twisting to get toilet paper, leaning to close the car door, getting into the passenger side of ANY vehicle, the list goes on....they truly feel like someone is stabbing me and it takes my breath away.  I have a very high tolerance for pain, but man, this one throws me for a loop.  There is a bruise in the area, so I'm wondering if doc worked down there and maybe bruised the muscle?  I don't know, but pain meds DO NOT work on this and of course, the tried and true method of taking an anti-inflammatory for muscle pain is not an option.  I've tried moist heat, BioFreeze, some stretching, and nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts or recommendations, or if anyone else has experienced this, I'd appreciate some insight! 

Thanks!!

Sarah

pwoo10
on 9/13/12 12:11 pm - IN
RNY on 06/06/12

I loved surgical glue. It was a relief over not getting the staples.  After 8 days you might be still having some slight pain. Hopefully everyday you will see it get better and better.  Heating pads didn't work for me.  I was in the fetal position on the couch when it hurt.  Pain meds caused me constipation (tmi) and I sure didn't need that.  I bet by Monday you are feeling much better. 
Keep us posted.

Dee.spunk
on 9/13/12 12:41 pm - Sacramento, CA
Just leave the glue alone and it'll fall off on it's own. about the pain, IDK, I'd ask my surgeon. I was told to report any pain, cause I shouldnt be feeling any.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

AlohaJen
on 9/13/12 12:45 pm
RNY on 09/05/12
Hey Sarah, we had the same surgery date!  I had horrible right side pain , but I got sent home with a Drain... Do you have one?  I had my first post-op with my surgeon on Tuesday and thank GOD he took out the drain and I have been so much better !!  I felt like a grenade had gone off in my stomach before then and I have had surgeries before!.. Now I have the expected soreness and the pulling when sitting or laying down and getting up....  When you called your surgeon's office, did they offer any suggestions as to what may have caused that area to be overly painful?  My doctor told me that I had a small, Small Intestine and he took over an hour and a half longer to complete my surgery.  That also explained why I had to come home with the drain....  But if you did not have any type of complication, then maybe it is just the muscle soreness?   Did he mention if it could be a hernia?  Or maybe ask if he can give you some Flexeril, which is a muscle relaxer, which might be able to release the tightness in the stomach muscle?  I am not a nurse, just trying to help you find relief......  I sure hope you get some relief SOON, we have a new life to get too !!  Take care... 

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

jujubee4224
on 9/13/12 1:35 pm
RNY on 04/09/12
It took about 3 weeks for my all of my surgical glue to peel off. I did remove the areas that had started to lift up. If it is catching on things, I would just cover it with a small band aid unless you are sensitive to the adhesive. I'm sorry but I can't be of much help with the right sided pain.

Annie_Anaba
on 9/13/12 1:41 pm
RNY on 08/27/12
I had pain on my right side until the drain was removed. I didnt realize thats what the problem was until he pulled it out and the pain went away magically. I was still sore for a few days but not "yelping" like it was. I hope you feel better soon.
lilbillsmom
on 9/13/12 5:07 pm - TX
RNY on 07/30/12
I had the same pain on my right side...I talked w/the Dr's office and they said nothing but strain...It lasted about 4 weeks and is now gone...I never had a drain at all ....

Learning to eat to live, NOT living to eat....    
Most Active