Intestinal Bacterial Infection - need input

MochaPJ
on 9/14/12 11:31 am - CA
I am about 19 months out. I have an intestinal infection that has not been totally identified yet, but signs and symptoms point to something along the lines of c diff, giardia or e coli. When my final test results come in, I suspect I will be put on Flagyl. I think it's a timed-released med, which I thought was bad for RNYers.

If you've had experience with intestinal bacterial infections post-op, I would like to hear about your experience. If it's too humiliating/graphic, friend me and/or message me privately.

I rarely post here, but I could really use some feedback.

Thanks.

A little background -- I believe I developed a secondary intestinal bacterial infection from a course of antibiotics I took about 7 weeks ago. I have lost control of my bowels on at least 2 occasions. I have had diarrhea for close to 6 weeks now. Thank goodness I've only lost 3 pounds, and I'm really good about staying hydrated.

All of my recent labs were excellent. I just had additional bloodwork done, and am awaiting the results of some stool samples.

cajungirl
on 9/14/12 12:06 pm
Flagyl is the "go to" meds for c. diff.  I've seen several DSers post about it to get their gut back in shape.  Also you may consider taking a probiotic which is good for gastro healthy, relieves ocassional gas and bloating, etc.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

cajungirl
on 9/14/12 12:08 pm
Mocha I suggest you also post to the DS board since some of the ladies there have had to go through rounds of antibiotics, probiontics and Flagyl you'll possibly get more information from there knowledge.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

shygirlxoxo
on 9/14/12 12:12 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
Yikes. Yeah they may have to adjust the dosage because it might not be as readily absorbed. Make sure they check for ulcerative colitits too. It can get pretty bad after using some antibiotics. I would definatly ask your actual surgeon about the time releases meds. PCPs are good at what they do but may not be up on wls.
MochaPJ
on 9/14/12 12:39 pm - CA
I think colitis is a possibility as well. My doctor had me start taking Align and I've been on it 5 days. I will NEVER again go without a probiotic supplement as part of my daily routine.

I cross posted this on the main message board because I figure I will reach the most people there. Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 12:41 pm - Mira Loma, CA

My wife "lived on" Flagyl and Lomotil from 1980 to 2008 from a 1980 gastric bypass surgery.  It was a very common cylce for her--really bad gas, loss of control of bowels, etc. Flagyl helped with major gas issues, and the Lomotil would stop the diarrhea. But this cycle went on 2-3 times a week for all those years. 

As a sidelight, I was put on Cipro for a bad cut that needed 7 stitches. With no changes in my diet at around 7 months post op, I developed severe diarrhea for over a week.  My PCP told me that Cipro was one of those wide spectrum antibioitics that "killed off good and bad bacteria" in my lower tract. You need a balance of these bacterias for normal stools--once they get out of balance, diarrhea is the result.  My medical chart is marked NO CIPRO.  I've used Bactrim, Amoxicillan without issues though.  If you use Flagyl, you may need to use 1/2 doses taken twice as often. With ER meds, the full dose may not be absorbed at one time.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MochaPJ
on 9/14/12 1:47 pm - CA
Dave, what happened in 2008 that changed that pattern?

I have learned to just say that I'm allergic to certain prescriptions, and then they don't get prescribed anymore. And thanks re the heads up on the dosages.

Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 2:05 pm - Mira Loma, CA

She had a RNY revision. Those 1980 era gastric bypass surgeries had a lot of intestinal infections. Wife had an "open" script for both Flayl and Lomotil.  Her 2008 revision was close the my RNY, but sligtly different. Her old gastric surgery surgical notes were destroyed in a warehouse fire. Old surgeon offered to assist in surgery, but hosptial would not authorize due to insurance issues.  so the upper part of the RNY was done OPEN and bottom part was done LAP.  Due to old gastric surgery, internal organ connections were not typical with mine, but very close.  I ended up getting a script for Lomotil to get rid of the diarrhea from my issues with CIPRO.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

rbb825
on 9/14/12 9:54 pm - Suffern, NY
it isnt just cipro. that is what antibiotics do.  Maybe some of the really weak ones dont do it but any decent antibiotic that has the strength to kill a bad infection is going to kill both good and bad flora - mainly broad spectrum antibiotics which is what the fluoroquinilones are.

BWB
on 9/14/12 2:22 pm
My experience with d iff was with my mother after she had hip surgery. We were told that it was due to a large amount of antibiotics that her immune system was compromised. It is very contagious so be very careful around others.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views