High protein snack ideas?

65rosesmom
on 9/22/12 12:39 pm
 I've had it up to here with high protein puddings and yogurt.   Not that I'm cutting these out of my days, but I need some alternative ways to eat something mid afternoon or in the evening that is still protein forward and yet satisfies a need to snack.   I am still eating very small meals, so I get hungry mid afternoon.   Now that I'm on all regular foods except nuts and seeds and skins that can't easily be digested, I could use some ideas.  I want to avoid slider-type foods like pudding and yogurt as it doesn't fill me up for long and I've eaten so much of them through the soft food phase that I need some variety.

Today I ate two sugar free whole wheat biscotti (15 cals) with some peanut butter on them.    I have no fruit in the house, otherwise I would have put the PB on apple slices instead.  That is a good snack.

I seem to do fine with protein bars, but can only eat half of one at a time.

I purchased some wonderslim cheese cracker/chips things, but am hesitant to eat those because I really want to avoid highly processed foods as much as possible.   

I'd love to hear what works for everyone else and build a list of options before I go grocery shopping tomorrow.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Rebecki65
on 9/22/12 6:09 am, edited 9/22/12 6:09 am - OR
RNY on 08/20/12
My go-to afternoon snack is a string cheese cut in half lengthwise, and wrap each piece with a slice of lean ham.  I put some mustard in there to add some zip.  When I get to the stage where I can have veggies, I'll put a pickle slice in also. 

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

garnetgal
on 9/22/12 6:18 am, edited 9/22/12 6:19 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

I have Jack Links Teriaki Steak Nuggets for a high protein snack. They are very tender and chew to mush easier than regular beef jerky. I also use 97% fat free deli ham and deli turkey as snacks, roll them up and munch away! I'm not big on cheese however, you can roll a piece of cheese up in there, too. I'm further out than yourself, so I'm able to eat nuts, too. Some people eat Greek yogurt as a snack. As for protein bars, they are very dense so I usually only eat a half also. You can also have some reduced fat refried beans with some cheese. Very yummy and protein filled!

slrm2m2
on 9/22/12 2:12 pm - Canada
I'm able to eat anything, so this is my list of protein snacks...

hard boiled egg
babybel light
mozzarella cheese strings
turkey pepperoni cooked till crispy and dipped in high protein dip (greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and spices of choice)
beef or turkey jerky
roasted soy nuts
almonds or walnuts (although these are more of a fat than a protein)
Pepperette sticks
deli slices
protein bars
any of eggface"s protein cake recipes
greek yogurt with frozen fruit
Protein smoothie
cheese chips (homemade, easy to make..search internet and you'll find the recipe)
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Amy D.
on 9/22/12 3:38 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I do jerky, cheese, turkey pepperoni or greek yogurt.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
BugdocMom
on 9/22/12 7:29 pm - CA
Staemed edamame and boiled eggs are faves!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/22/12 7:34 pm
light string cheese
low fat cottage cheese
low fat ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and melted cheese
5/8 oz frozen meat balls with NSA spaghetti sauce ( I took these to work often for lunch early out)
tuna salad
chicken salad
shrimp ****tail

Winnie

Most Active