Band To RNY?

MARIA F.
on 9/26/12 2:31 am - Athens, GA

After being banded less than 3 yrs. my band has slipped. I wanted to do VSG, but the Dr. strongly suggested revision to RNY b/c of acid. So if you have revised.......how long ago, and looking back, would you have preferred VSG???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Turtle Lynn
on 9/26/12 12:07 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi Maria, 

I'm 17 weeks out from a Band to RNY revision because of horrendous reflux.  I wanted the DS, but unfortunately, that was not an option for me.  The VSG and DS were both ruled out for me for multiple reasons but one was because of the horrendous reflux I had and the damage that had been done to my esophagus.  With the DS or VSG, there was a very good chance that the reflux would continue.  The RNY due to the re-routing that is done is very commonly used as a surgical cure for reflux in obese to morbidly obese patients.  

You are welcome to go to my profile and read my blog outlining my experience with the revision so far, and I will tell you that my reflux is 100% gone since I woke up from the RNY!!!!  

I didn't want the VSG after having the band, I was done with restriction-only procedures.  My first choice was DS and my second choice was RNY, but I am also a diabetic and was looking for a surgery to put my diabetes into remission.  I also wanted the malabsorption to help me with weight loss, and they have the best statistics of the 4 surgeries.  It all comes down to what you want, what you are looking to get out of the surgery, and then deciding which procedure will help you get to where you want to go!

Best of luck to you!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

TamaraL
on 9/26/12 12:08 pm
Maria,

i got the bypass because my reflux was so bad with the lap band.  i had acid reflux even with no fill in the band.

The only reason i would have liked the sleeve is because you keep your pyloric valve and you can still take ibuprophen and anti inflammatories. 

lots of people have problems with heart burn with the sleeve so if you have it now it could get worse with the sleeve

make sure you really talk to your dr about the pros and cons of the surgeries before commiting but the heart burn is what made me choose the bypass.

Tamara

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 9/26/12 1:10 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am 6 months out from band to bypass , and I think I am glad for the bypass.
After band you loose slower and my doc really felt bypass would have better outcome in the long run.
I have had no issues , except the fact that it is difficult with the vitamins and takes some getting used to. It is WONDERFUL to eat and feel normal , instead of the pain of the food going through the band.
I am VERY happy with bypass and I am the LAST person I ever thought who wuld say that.
I think if you trust your doc and he says bypass...do it

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?