Now Eat This! Rocco DiSpirito recipe books?

dizzylizzy19
on 10/2/12 2:59 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
Just sitting here on my last day of medical leave before I go back to work (whaa-whaa!) and I just saw Rocco DiSpirito on Access Hollywood publicizing his new recipe book - Now Eat This! Italian which has recipes all under 350 cals.  Apparently there is a whole series of cook books

Has anyone ever bought or used these? 
wmamey
on 10/2/12 3:13 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Never heard of them.
I went to the county library and looked up bariatric cookbooks, they had 2 and the recipes are wonderful!! Didn't cost me anything and I checked them out a 2nd time!

Michelle G.
on 10/2/12 3:27 am, edited 10/2/12 3:28 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12
I have one of them. It might be the original one. It's titled "Now eat This" with subtitle 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods all under 350 Calories.
I like the book and we cook out of it sometimes however after you posted this I started looking through it and once I am post-op most of these recipes will have to much fat even when not eating a whole serving. According to my doc I can only have 3g of fat per meal and a lot of these are 10 or more.
I can say that they are excellent recipes though and every one that we tried my family loved!

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/12 3:55 am - OH
Limiting yourself to 3g of fat per meal is going to be difficult if not impossible, I am afraid.  A stick of part skim string cheese (mozzarella) has 5g of fat (and 8g of protein); 2 ounces of filet mignon (one of the leanest cuts of beef) has 5g of fat (and 16g of protein); 3 ounces of tuna (depending on type) has 5g of fat (and 22g of protein); a cup of 2% cottage cheese has over 4g of fat; one large egg has 5g of fat.  You get the idea.  Did your surgeon give you any kind of menu plan that would help you eat such an extremely limited amount of fat??

Also, your body needs a certain amount of fat and such a very small amount may cause problems with dry skin and hair, brittle nails, constipation, and problems with concentration and memory.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wendydettmer
on 10/2/12 3:57 am - Rochester, NY
 Yeah I find that odd as well.  I don't cook with added fat, but there is naturally fat in some foods that are good to eat.  

Now, early out (in the first few weeks), we were to limit the number of fat grams in our protein powder, but that was the only time fat grams was mentioned.  

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Day_dream_believer
on 10/2/12 3:47 am
 I looked through it the Italian one at the bookstore.  A lot of his recipies in this one are carb based.  It looked really good, though

wendydettmer
on 10/2/12 3:53 am - Rochester, NY
i would be worried myself because a lot of italian cookbooks deal with pastas and other carbs i don't want to eat. I'm never sure of sugar content either.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/12 4:05 am - OH
I looked at one (the comfort food under 350 calories) in the bookstore recently (for a gift for a friend, not for myself since I don't cook much), and although the calorie and fat content are good, the carbs (not surprisingly) are pretty high in some of the pasta based ones.  There were many recipes that didn't involve pasta, though.  FWIW, my friend has tried two recipes so far.  She said one was "pretty good" but not something she would make again, the other was terrible and she didn't even finish the meal.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.