When did you start expiriencing "bounce back"?

cor p99
on 10/3/12 11:28 am
 In November, I'll be celebrating my two year surgiversary. And, I'm terrified to admit, I believe I have prematurely begun to experience a little bit of bounce-back weight gain. 

No significant change in diet (protein first, no drinking with meals, a Click espresso every morning....etc.) I have slipped a bit with my exercising but still get in a good run  3 or 4x a week....it's just not enough these days.

I think at this point, I need to:
- Get back to tracking my calories ( this may be getting out of hand.... I must log every bite)
- Change-up or accelerate my calorie-burn work outs ( running just isn't cutting it)

What else should I do?
At what point did you start experiencing "bounce-back"?

Thanks for the advice!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/3/12 11:56 am, edited 10/3/12 11:57 am - OH
My only "bounce back" came immediately (within a month) after I hit my lowest weight.  I "bounced" 5 pounds.  I suspect, however, that the low weight was somewhat artificial since it was shortly after my pancreatitis and gallbladder removal surgery.

At 5 years out, my weight does sometimes start to slowly creep up, though.  I have a 5 pound creep limit.  When I hit that, I eliminate all non-protein carbs, increase the protein and water a bit until I drop those couple of pounds back off.  That gives me the freedom NOT to worry about temporary water weight gain or stress over indulging a bit at the holidays, but keep my weight under control.

Lora
p.s. edited to add that I did not reach my low weight until 20 months out

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cor p99
on 10/3/12 12:09 pm
 Thanks Laura! Your advice is always appreciated. Interestingly enough, I hit my lowest weight in late July....and have gained approximately 8 pounds from that point. I've managed to close the gap a little since then.  However, I'm still 5 ponds higher than my lowest weight. These darn 5lbs are trying to get the best of me!

Mal
on 10/3/12 12:55 pm
 I had a bounce back at about a year and a half after surgery.  I gained 23 lbs.  I got concerned , so I asked my Nutritionist for help.  We came up with a plan that involved more protein and more Iron (I became anemic after wls) and once I was ready to get serious, I lost the 23 lbs and then losts 30 more.  I range anywhere between 155 and 160 (I'm 6' tall) and lost 20 lbs more than what my surgeon wanted as my goal.  

I still have tremendous restriction which, for me, is why wls is sucessful.  I went from a size 26 to a 4/6.  I always thought that I was a large frame or big boned.  I'm not, its crazy!!  loI

Before

After

MyLady Heidi
on 10/3/12 3:27 pm
 At 4 years out I realized the spell was broken.  You have to consume less calories, its really that simple.  I try to stay at 1400 a day in maintenance and around 1000 if I feel my jeans get tight.  I am 7 years out and weighed last week before my birthday and I am exactly 1 lb over my goal weight of 138.  It takes dedication but you can weigh whatever you want if you are willing to work for it.
StephWantsToSki
on 10/3/12 8:50 pm - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with
 I got to my goal weight with the sleeve within 6 months.  I had a 10 lbs bounce back, but held there for several years.  170 lbs was a good weight for me as I played tennis nearly every day and had a lot of muscle, plus being 5'10.  Unfortunately, I got ****y and I had a rough year in 2011.  The ****iness came from thinking that I had this overeating problem licked.  I ate normal food with small portion sizes..lots of fresh veggies, lean meats, and skipped the sweets and breads.  But I never thought about my weight anymore, eating, or dieting.  I just stopped eating when I was full.  I thought I was healed forever with my obsession with food.  

Then I had a really emotionally stressful year.... and was not vigilant.... and gained back 55 lbs.  I recently had to do a revision to RNY and this time I will NEVER EVER let 10 lbs here and there slide.  I will weigh myself weekly and if there is any gain, I will go back to protein shakes until I am back to goal.  I'm so PISSED at myself, but all I can do is move forward.

Regaining your weight is possible AT ANY TIME is possible if you don't stay on top of it.
Darcy S.
on 10/3/12 10:14 pm - Clinton, CT
Wow great pics!

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

poet_kelly
on 10/4/12 12:42 am - OH
I regained some weight about 2.5 years post op, when I started taking an antidepressant medication that is known to cause weight gain.  I was on the med for about six months and gained 23 pounds.  Then I stopped taking the med (under my doctor's supervision) and lost ten pounds.  I'm still about 13 pounds up from my lowest weight, but I'm actually still a little below my goal weight, so I'm OK with that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views