RNY done 10/3. Some complications have me feeling down.

BrennaRawks
on 10/19/12 10:38 pm - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
Hey everyone! I had my lap RNY done the beginning of the month (10/3). Although I came through the surgery well, I've struggled with some complications and could just use some encouragement.
I was kept 2 extra days in the hospital due to tachycardia (sp?). I ended up in the ER 2 days after discharge with a surgical site infection and major problems with my asthma. Thankfully, my surgeon met me there and really ensured great care. Since then, it's just been very tiring.
This wound infection has been hard to deal with emotionally. It needs to be flushed and packed 2x a day. In the 7 years I spent contemplating the surgery, the idea of an infection like this is what kept me saying no to WLS. It was very upsetting to me to end up like this.
I'm finally getting past the "buyer's remorse" stage though so that's good. This journey has been much more difficult than I anticipated. I've been focusing more on healing than on weight loss right now. I'm just more than ready to feel like myself again.
Thanks for listening to this huge ramble.

HW: 355 SW: 321 CW: 142 GW: 130

Lap RNY 10/3/12   Panniculectomy 8/6/14

Each day holds new victories!

OH2012
on 10/19/12 10:44 pm - OH
You're welcome! Hang tough! Look forward to better days to come!
Susan2012
on 10/20/12 12:17 am
 Hang in there. I had some complications after my surgery( 3 weeks in hospital ) but I wouldn't change it. It may take some time but you'll get through it. 

Melissa88
on 10/20/12 1:04 am
 It's so tough at first hon but hang in there. You'll feel better soon and just remember that it's so worth it. I was soooo sick at first but it does get easier. Sorry you have had complications but I know you will not regret your wls. Good luck and take care. :)

~Gotta live like you're dyin'~            
LadyOnna
on 10/20/12 7:14 am - IL
At this stage in the game...FOCUS ON HEALING....the weight loss will take carre of itself as long as you follow your Doctors protocol...seriously....you need to heal before you do anything else. I too had complications after WLS and healing comes first..the weight loss happens if you do what you are asked to do .....Good Luck and FEEL BETTER!!!!  YOU CAN DO THIS!
Annie_Anaba
on 10/21/12 4:38 am
RNY on 08/27/12
You sound just like I did ,lol. I was terrified of of MRSA and what do you know I get an infection...although not MRSA it still had me on edge. It's been 3 weeks getting rid of it and I'm sure it's all better now. I had "buyers remorse" from day 1 and it stayed until about 2 weks ago. Believe me it gets better when the healing is over and you can workout and focus on the right foods and exercises. Good luck.

Caidkin
on 10/21/12 5:15 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
You poor thing!  hang in there!  I remember the worst thing about my surgery was my staples... I couldn't imagine having an infection!!!!  THis too shall pass... and trust me it will get better :)
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Carol M.
on 10/21/12 6:54 am - TX
 Keep in mind that a "wound" problem can result from any surgery or even an injury. Don't fall into a trap thinking this is just RNY related.  I have known people who had to have wound treatments from an  open wound injuray that would not heal.  In a few months this will all be behind y ou and you will be so grateful for the healthier life you will have.  Just focus on the goal, not the day to day.
Most Active
Recent Topics