Upper GI on tues.

Loveshinesthru
on 10/13/12 7:52 am - Mesa, AZ
 I had one before and I am worried that I wont be able to swallow the barium drink. They wanted me to swallow as much as I could in one swallow last time. I can barely drink anything that is thicker than a normal drink.  And should I drink the fizzy stuff? last time I passed.   I am getting the upper gi because 2 weeks ago  i had the dry heaves for a couple/few hours and now its harder for me to swallow, stuff gets stuck and I get fuller faster. I had a hiatal hernia repaired with my rny.  I asked for an EGD, but she wanted to do an upper gi first. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

AlohaJen
on 10/13/12 11:26 am
RNY on 09/05/12
My surgery was on 9/5. My surgeon requires his patient's to have an upper GI the morning after surgery to check for any leaks... it was the hardest thing I have ever gone thru.... that crap you have to drink is soooooo horrible. Please make sure who ever is doing the test for you, knows what surgery that you had!  I had a student who was trying to make me drink it all and then I angrily explained that I had the RNY and can not drink alot at a time!  About that time , the actual radiologist intervened and explained that I just needed to drink whatever I could get down!  Take care and let us know how you do on Tuesday !

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

Loveshinesthru
on 10/13/12 12:16 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Thanks, yes they told me to get whatever I could get down also. But they didnt seem to totally understand. 

seanseosamh
on 10/13/12 1:30 pm
They didn't call it an upper GI, but I had to drink some rather nasty stuff for an X-ray exam on the morning following surgery.  They were checking for leaks, too.
I just felt it was a step to getting something...I mean going with no food, no liquids for 30 hours is a trial.
Thankfully, everything was OK and I was able to have clear liquids for the remaining day in the hospital.  I stayed 2 nights total.
TamaraL
on 10/14/12 3:19 am
make sure you remind them before starting that you have the RNY.  i only have upper GI's and EGD at hospital where i had surgery and they always have my records

Tamara

Loveshinesthru
on 10/17/12 6:35 am - Mesa, AZ
 So, They had me swallow a barium tablet, which I dont remember doing in the other one. The tablet did not pass through and he said that my hole is smaller than when they did the upper last time in dec, I think that was right after the 6 dilations I had. I still have a little bit of a hiatal hernia too. I dont know if my dry heaving 2 weeks ago caused that?  All I know is since that incident I am having trouble with foods getting stuck and feeling fuller faster. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?