Low Potassium and Kidney Stones

Jennifer P.
on 10/14/12 11:14 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
So Friday I was admitted to the hospital because I was passing a kidney stone and in a TERRIBLE amount of pain.  After receiving pain meds, it finally passed, but they said my blood work came back with my potassium level at 2.6, which is dangerously low.  They first did a round of potassium via IV and it went up to 3.0.  Then they decided to do oral potassium pills and it dropped down to 2.8.  So they did another 10 bags of potassium today and sent me home, advising me to have my blood drawn tomorrow through my general practitioner or my bariatric doctor.  

This is the second time I've had low potassium and had to have it given to me intravenously.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm almost 11 weeks out and the first time it happened I was about 2 weeks out.  I'm just nervous this is going to keep happening and I would rather stay out of the hospital!!!  

yahpraiser
on 10/14/12 11:39 am - danville, AL
I have had a problem with low potassium as well. I was in the hospital once for it at about 3 months out. I now have to take a liquid potassium everyday.

Jennifer P.
on 10/14/12 11:40 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 So how do you take the liquid?  I tasted it and it was AWFUL!  

yahpraiser
on 10/14/12 11:43 am - danville, AL
I mix it with a diet  decaffinated tea that I found at a local grocery store. Krogers if you have them. It is sold in the refrigrated section. I take the amount percribed in about 12 ounces of tea. It is still not what I would call great tasting but much more tolerable.

Jennifer P.
on 10/14/12 11:44 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 I'd rather take the broken up pills! LOL

yahpraiser
on 10/14/12 11:46 am - danville, AL
I probably should try them because I really sort of hate the liquid

Jennifer P.
on 10/14/12 11:47 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 If you can get a pill splitter, I would.  A good pill splitter will cut it right.

MrsLitch
on 10/14/12 1:02 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
my doctor's office said we can't absorb the pill and they prescribe the powder to everyone before sugery. someone at my last support group said she finally found a way to get it down without it tasting horrible. She makes it in a small 2 oz glass and adds enough Mio to hide the taste and takes it like a shot. You may want to try that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

yahpraiser
on 10/14/12 11:51 am - danville, AL
Thanks I have been taking the liquid for about 5 months and it really isnt any easier now than it was at the start. I have tried different sugar free juices too but it wasnt any better.

Calla Lily
on 10/14/12 11:51 am
RNY on 01/23/12
 What did your kidney stones feel like? Friday I was having sharp pain on my lower right side, about 3 inches inward from my hip bone. At first I thought maybe crazy gas pain, but was able to pass gas and I was not constipated. The pain eased a big when I would sit with my knees up in a crunch position. The pain lasted all day Friday, and on and off Saturday and today it was totally gone. I was almost wondering if it was a sign of a kidney stone.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 438 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?