What's going on with me??

Friendlybyte
on 10/18/12 1:43 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
It stated on Sunday, I felt nauseated and had a hard time eating or drinking anything.  Next day was worse so I had very little to drink and did not even bothering trying to eat.. Tuesday called the surgeons office and talked to the nurse and she told me to take anti-nausea medication and just focus on fluids.  I was started to get light headed and dizzy and urine is now dark so I called back and they set me up to get a liquid infusion yesterday morning.  I ended up getting 2 litters and still felt dizzy when I left, and almost fell trying to get into the car from the wheelchair!! I called the office again and the nurse called in Ativan and wants me to continue with the anti-nausea medication... I am wondering if I have an ulcer from all the pain meds I have been on for over 7 weeks now??  I am supposed to call the office again and let the nurse know I am doing... I was able to eat about 1/4 runny mash potatoes and 1 sf Popsicle and my pouch ached the whole time and after... I am so frustrated!!

Friendlybyte
on 10/18/12 1:58 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
Just spoke to the nurse and she is going to talk to the doctor and get back to me... I have a bad feeling that I will be going into the hospital today...

Infogal
on 10/18/12 2:03 am
First and foremost you need to focus on drinking liquids, dark urine & being light headed is a sign of being dehydrated. Go to the ER & get some IV fluids in, you will feel better once they treat the dehydration.

Feel better soon.
Infogal            
Annie_Anaba
on 10/18/12 2:29 am
RNY on 08/27/12
I hope you feel better soon. Good luck.

AlohaJen
on 10/18/12 2:33 am
RNY on 09/05/12
You state that you have been on pain meds for 7 weeks!!  Did you have some type of initial complication?  If not, that is a long time to be on those and it probably is affecting your pouch. I hope you get some relief soon, being nauseous is a terrible feeling.... keep drinking until you get an answer.....

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/18/12 3:29 am, edited 10/18/12 10:31 am - OH
They prescribed Ativan?? For the nausea in addition to something esle for nausea?? Yes, it sometimes helps with nausea, but it is primarily an anxiolytic (calms anxiety) and one of the VERY common side effects is dizziness!! (It is also a benzodiazepine which can be highly addictive.)

I would ask why the Ativan...

I have also never heard of painkillers causing ulcers, but as the other posted mentioned 7 weeks is a long time to be on pain killers! That is longer than I have ever been on them even for a open surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Larry Wassmann
on 10/18/12 3:56 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Pain meds for 7 weeks??? My god that is not right. Your PCP better know about this. I never ever had a pain med after I left the hospital. If you are in that much pain there is something else wrong with you. Good luck but make them fix the problem not cover it with pain meds.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

littleskie
on 10/18/12 4:44 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I have been on daily pain meds for seven years. No ulcer.

They may feel you are being a bit too anxious and hence gave you the ativan. I got ativan at the er once for a panic attack. I felt like I couldn't breathe yet the oxy level registered at 98 percent. So I was getting plenty of air. It was all in my head. It happens.

Take your meds, sip sip sip lots of water. Seriously always have some water in your hand and sipping it. If your urine stays dark go back to the er for rehydration. Dehydration is common enough for us after surgery. It is difficult to get enough water but keep trying.

Did the potatoes have butter and/or milk in them? If so the fat or lactose in the milk could have caused you some troubles. I'd go back to broths and such for a few days. Have you been feeling like this since the beginning or is this something new?

I hope you get better soon. I don't normally say this but trust what your doctor says. Remember he has more experience with after effects for this surgery than you do.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views