Scary Stuff!! Kind of long..but please read I need advice.

Megan S.
on 10/19/12 3:02 am, edited 10/19/12 3:02 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13
Ok..I'm looking and searching and researching every little thing I can find out about RNY. I have read great inspirational stories that make me want to do this today. Then I have read things that are just terrifying that happen years down the road after RNY that no one ever anticipated happening to them. I just don't know what to think. How do you know that these terrible things won't happen to you. I know they say that some of the complications are very rare..but what if I'm that 1% that it happens to?
 PLEASE NO ONE TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY!!! I'm not having any medical issues now. I have been dieting and exercising for 6 years and lost 100lbs by myself. My problem is I gained 40 and lose 20 of it then continue to gain that 20 back, lose it again. I just wanted to finally be a normal weight. I'm thinking that I'm going to go from being fat and healthy to being skinny and sick with other complications from this surgery. I know there is no guarantee...but I just don't know what to think anymore. Am I doing myself worse by reading and researching..or if I do this surgery..will I regret not looking for the what ifs.

Sorry this is so long..this is just the way I'm feeling and this is the only place I know where to look for some advice.

~Megan
kpenn1971
on 10/19/12 3:04 am
Have you thought about doing the Sleeve instead then?

Megan S.
on 10/19/12 3:14 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13
I have...that was what I wanted to do but my insurance won't cover unless my BMI is over 50. So my only choice is RNY or the band. Def not doing the band.
AlohaJen
on 10/19/12 3:07 am
RNY on 09/05/12
Well you can make yourself crazy if you "What If" all your life... so what if you get killed in a car wreck tomorrow?  See my point?  Only you can make the decision if this is for you. I am 6 weeks post-op and it is the hardest and BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I am down 21 lbs since the surg and a total of 50 lbs since I started with the surgeon's office. I am curious as to what info you found about the long term problems that RNY'ers have?  And where did you find it?  I would like to read it....  I personally have 4 relatives that all had this surgery over the past 6 years and ALL did great and have kept their weight off. I studied it for 5 yrs and finally made the decision that I had lived fat for 40 yrs and I would like to try the next 40 yrs at a normal weight..... I do NOT regret it one bit.. Hope this helps...  Good Luck !

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

Megan S.
on 10/19/12 3:19 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13
Most of the info I got from here..then went and googled and read different info about different topics. Most of the topics were adhesions, reactive hypoglycemia,strictures, peoples teeth falling out from not getting enough calcium even with vits. The list goes on. Thank you for your reply. See..it's people like you that make me think..ok..everything will be ok.
justinplex
on 10/19/12 3:12 am - Kilgore, TX
No surgery is 100% fullproof, but this surgery has only a small chance of issues. Most of the issues that you can come across after surgery are when people think they can start eating normal again, and doing the things they used to be able to do. This isn't just a "diet" its a lifestyle change. That means you have to eat the same way the rest of your life. Small ammounts, lean meats and veggies, etc...
 Justin T. Johnson                            
justinplex
on 10/19/12 3:13 am - Kilgore, TX
I'm only 5 days out and even though I still have some pain, the future is really exciting.
 Justin T. Johnson                            
darlingdeb
on 10/19/12 3:14 am - OH
I did not discover this web site until after I had RNY in April.  Sometimes after reading some posts, I am really glad I didn't read stuff until after surgery.  I probably got on this forum about 1 week after RNY and found out some very good information and advice.  I do think sometimes that over-researching is not always a good thing.  You can not compare yourself to other people. 

My husband had lung reduction surgery about 2 years ago for his emphysema and I researched a lot but I wanted him to be prepared but not to scare the heck out of him with my research.  And believe me the surgery was alot more serious and dangerous than RNY.  But when it is all said and done his surgery was necessary for him to continue to live and live a better life.  I believe that to be true in my case with RNY.  I have diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure so I decided to take my chances for a better life. 

So be prepared but don't dwell on things you can't control or it will drive you crazy!!  Good Luck          debbie
Pickett6
on 10/19/12 3:58 am
An important thing to remember is that people come to this website forum for advice, which by the very nature of that means that they are often asking about problems they are having.  You don't really read anywhere near that volume from the rest of us -- the majority of us -- who are doing so very fine with the RNY and have expereienced no problems.  I'd suggest that you look at the advice given here, understand some of the challenges that can arise with any of us, but know that most of us are doing so very fine and are soooo pleased we had the surgery.  It is a breath-takingly wonderful option that has changed my life forever.  I wish you the best in making the right choice for you.
Wendi S.
on 10/19/12 4:09 am
RNY on 04/02/12
 Only you can decide what is best for you. I wish I had decided to do this surgery 10 years ago. I am six months out with no complications. I feel the best I've felt in years....I look the best I've looked in years....I'm happier than I've been in years...etc...etc. I could go on and on. My labs are perfect. I take my vitamins 4 times a day. I drink 1 protein shake a day and get the rest of my protein in through food. I exercise and actually enjoy it. My only regret is not making this decision sooner. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics