did you have to lose weight prior to surgery?

iambrink
on 10/19/12 3:28 am
I am still struggling with the weight loss requirement for my program.  i am hoping they will approve me even though i have not reached the requirement.  My insurance has no WL requirement, so that is not an issue.  so I was wondering are there people who did not have to lose weight prior to surgery? and if not, did you have to do a pre-op diet of any kind, like liquids a week or two before?

thanks!
darlingdeb
on 10/19/12 3:34 am - OH
I did not have to lose weight before surgery and I was on 2 protein shakes a day for breakfast and lunch.  For dinner I was allowed a Lean Cuisine or a Weight  Watchers Meal for 1 week prior to surgery.      debbie
manda2108
on 10/19/12 3:39 am
 My insurance did not require WL before surgery but my surgeon did. I did a carnation no sugar added shake for breakfast and lunch and had grilled chicken and stir fry veggies for dinner everyday..I lost 14lbs.

zra
on 10/19/12 3:41 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with
My program only requires that I do not gain any weight. But, my program also strongly encourages making major lifestyle changes before surgery, which will result in weight loss before surgery and make the transition a lot easier after. The surgeon also said that he'd like to see my try to lose 20 pounds before my surgery to help make it safer. I'm 10 pounds down now.

We have to do a low carb, mostly liquid diet for two weeks before surgery. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

artroxy blue
on 10/19/12 3:41 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Yes, I had to show I could lose weight. I only lost 10lbs. over my 6 month required dietician visits. I lost another 15 during the liquid diet two weeks before surgery. 

JanBooth
on 10/19/12 3:41 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

My insurance required a medically supervised diet/exercise program for 6 months.  There wasn't any mention of required weight loss...so, I did lose a bit, but gained, lost...so on.  Just as I've done, pretty much all of my life.  2 weeks prior to surgery, I was on a low fat calorie controlled diet that I did adhere to...for the most part.  I had a few "last suppers" during that time.  But, that diet was to help reduce my fatty liver and allow the surgery to be done laparoscopically.  Other than that, I was to have nothing by mouth after midnight the night prior to surgery. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

pattyjonichols
on 10/19/12 3:49 am
Tough going...yes my Surgeon and Nutritionist both said before surgery I needed to lose 10% of my weight on my own.   My surgery is Nov 16 2012.  On Oct 6 I started a semi-liquid diet with protien drinks and I'm shocked at how hard it is to be consistent.  I'm glad they require this because I'd hate to already have the surgery and THEN find out I'm lousy at the program.  I lost 12 lbs the first two weeks then gained back 3 pounds (because I "sampled" displays at the grocery store.  I had one out of body experience of stuffing myself and now I'm trying again.   Found out the weight loss BEFORE is to help shrink our livers and other internal organs so they can work in their more freely.  My worry is that once the surgery is over, what if I slip again and sample grocery store displays.  ugh!!!
November 1-16 I go on Dr. supervised  FULL LIQUIDS ONLY.    Trust me you want to try this ahead of time so you know where your weakness are.

Good Luck
Patty Jo
Michigan
Annasbell
on 10/19/12 4:05 am - Arcadia, FL
RNY on 09/12/12
No requirement to lose by my doctor or insurance, but because of my fatty liver, I had to do a one week liquid diet the week prior to surgery.

RNY (lap) 9/12/2012 |  Michel Murr |  SW243 | 5'6"

ToNewBeginnings
on 10/19/12 4:22 am
I had no requirement to lose or maintain weight. I gained.

I had to do a liquid diet "Optifast" for two weeks before surgery to "shrink my liver"

I think asking morbidy obese people to lose weight to prove they "can do the program" is ridiculous.

Why are we having the surgery in the first place?  - Because we have issues with food.

poet_kelly
on 10/19/12 4:43 am - OH
Asking people to lose weight to prove they can do the program is silly, I agree, since the program after surgery is generally different and because after surgery you have restriction you don't have pre op.

Many surgeons ask patients to lose weight in order to shrink the liver, which makes surgery safer, though, and I don't think that's ridiculous.  Some docs also ask very obese patients to lose weight just to make surgery safer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 161 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics