Feeling down about lack of weight loss

Missy A.
on 10/21/12 9:50 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I'm feeling a little down today about the fact the I have only lost 26.5lbs since my surgery on August 17, not to mention when I woke up this morning, I had gained a half pound. I have been pushing myself to walk 2-2.5 miles a day 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks. I just don't understand why I'm a slow loser and why exercising isn't speeding it up. I get between 600-750 calories a day, all my protein and all my liquids. Please give me some ideas as to why this is so slow for me. Can I do anything different?

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Missy A.
on 10/21/12 9:57 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I misspoke I actually have lost 31.5lbs, but still seems slow for 9 weeks out.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

never2late4change
on 10/21/12 9:59 am, edited 10/21/12 4:59 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
RNY on 07/18/12
You and I are in the same boat I missy. I had my phone on July 18th and I lost about 50 pounds so far. I had my 3 month post op this past Friday and my surgeon said he expected me to lose probably 10 additional pounds than I already have. he said I am still in a good place having lost 40 + pounds since the surgery & he says if I continue at this rate I will reach goal within 6 months. I need to realize that my individual weight loss truly only is for me. Although some people have lost twice as much as I have by this point they are not in my body. we have to give ourselves credit where credit is due, this is hard work. As long as we're losing even if it's a little bit we're doing our job. remember, this is the life long journey not a sprint to the finish line. Good luck

Highest Weight: 283.6,  Post Op Weight: 273.6, Goal Weight: 160 lbs 

Rebecki65
on 10/21/12 10:02 am - OR
RNY on 08/20/12
I had my RNY 3 days after you and I've only lost 28 lbs.  I had three days where I gained 2lbs, but I had been obedient to the plan.  I think it's jus****er gain.  Its ironic that the more water we drink the less water we retain.  I know that last week I wasn't drinking enough, so that explains my 2lb gain.

One thing about exercise is that you have to get your heart pumping in your target heart range or walking isn't going to help.  My physical therapist told me that if I exercise in my target heart range 4 times a week for 30-45 minutes, the weight will fall off.  I'm trying to do that, and just started jogging every two minutes on the treadmill.  Since then I've lost those two pounds and an additional one.

You are losing an average of 3.31 lbs a week, which is what is expected.  I think you are doing great!  You can do this!  *hugs*

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

artroxy blue
on 10/21/12 10:25 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I understand how you feel, but look at how much you've lost so far! :) I've never been able to lose 30+ lbs. in such a short amount of time, you know? 

How about changing up your exercise routine--start jogging, incorporate weight training, etc. It might help to kick-start your weight loss. Also, take a look at how much protein you get in everyday. I find I do better if I have more than the 65-70g/day goal I have. Lately, I've been ranging between 80-100g. 

Friendlybyte
on 10/21/12 11:31 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
First hugs to you!  Don't be so darn hard on yourself!  I sure see here that we all lose weight differently.  It's not a race... You need to pat yourself on the back for sticking to your plan!!  I wish I could say that I get all my fluids and protein in each day!!  So kuddo's to you girl for the weight you have already lost!!   

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/12 12:16 pm
RNY on 08/31/12
 I had surgery on Aug. 31st and was doing OK with moderate weight loss but the last two weeks I stalled. I monitored my food and couldn't figure it out but initially didn't panic because so many on these boards have been through stalls, but then the last few days I actually became a bit depressed. Now here is the cool part. I've been telling my husband how much faster I can go up stairs after gettng off of the train (2 flights). In the last two weeks I have made it to almost the same speed as every one else! He notices that I walk faster and take bigger steps and I'm definitely walking greater distances now. Today the scale finally budged 1/2 to 1 pound but my husband and I noticed that my legs have really trimmed down during the stall when he burst out, "I know what is happening to you! You're building MUSCLE!" I bet you are too from what you are saying about your walking. He used to be a wrestler and building muscle mass does add weight. I think you should do what you are doing and take measurements instead. I wi**** did because there are definitely inches off of my legs!
Kay1975
on 10/21/12 1:43 pm - PA
I am almost 5 weeks post op and have lost 10.  I was extremly upset but when you begin to exercise it develops muscle and that weighs more than fat.  Also, I can tell I have lost inches.  So just focus on your plan and the scale will show eventually.  Also, put the scale away.  I have decided to weigh myself every two weeks now. Good luck

Kay Kay

maimeem71
on 10/21/12 3:27 pm - ID

I know you feel like you haven't lost much but you have plus I know how you feel not being able to eat you want to lose it faster. But you will lose it and if you lose the weight at a steady pace it will help with saggy skin. I was so worried about the saggy skin. You are doing a great job. Keep your head up.

jessann5
on 10/22/12 2:36 am - Kansas City, KS
So you are almost exactly two months out. That is 15.75 pounds a month I am not sure weight can come off much faster than that. It looks like you are making great progress!

Be proud of your accomplishment! You seem to be losing at a great rate!

Remember, that weight didn't come on overnight and it won't come off overnight either.

Best Wishes to you :)

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views