Feeling terrible after eating...

sharoncarrie
on 10/22/12 5:13 am - Garland, TX
Hello family, I'm 2 weeks out (surgery 10/09) & I am having a hard time getting my fluids & protein in. Everything I consume hurts my stomach. It feels like a painful "knot" in my stomach that hurts for about 15-20 mins until I hear my stomach gurgle & then there is relief. This happens almost everytime I consume liquids, broth, cream soup, yogart, jello, etc. It's making me not want to eat or drink anything because I know the pain will come. I've thrown up several times. Have any of you ever experienced this? Is this normal for only 2 weeks & will eventually go away? 

Your responses are appreciated 
Robin R.
on 10/22/12 5:15 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
i'm just about as far out as you and i've had the "knot" feeling, but it's not really painful for me. have you called your doctor or NUT?

anewbeginning2012
on 10/22/12 5:22 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
I am 3 weeks out and I felt that twice when I drank/ate too fast. It passes after a few minutes. You may want to let your doc know what's going on. I am able to tolerate food well.
 Kris        
sharoncarrie
on 10/22/12 5:23 am - Garland, TX
I go see my surgeon tomorrow for my post-op appointment. I'm going to mention this to him. I was just curious to see if anyone else had experienced this.
kathyshrinks
on 10/22/12 5:28 am, edited 10/22/12 5:32 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
When I was that early out, I had to eat veeeeerrrrrrryyyyyy slowly or I would feel like I had a knot under my breastbone.  Like one tiny bite every 60 seconds, no joke.  I downloaded a timer app for my phone, and when I start it, it vibrates every 60 seconds, without needing to be reset like the regular timer on my phone.  I still use it because it keeps me from overeating.  Also, I can carry on a conversation during dinner without worrying that I am eating too fast or that I will stop eating too soon and not get enough protein in.

If you have a smart phone, just search for "interval timer" and choose one that sounds like it will work for you.  The one I have is call "A Hit Timer" for the Android system, and is intended for designing interval training workouts (like if you wanted to do pushups for two minutes, then sit-ups for one minute, then jog for five minutes, etc.).  I designed a set that I call "eat" that does 30 sets of 60 seconds each (I never actually eat 30 bites of anything; I just set that as an outer limit).  I also have one called "drink" that does 1 set of 30 minutes, and I start it as soon as I am done eating to tell me when I can start drinking,

This would probably drive some people crazy, but it works great for me.

Hope this helps!

sharoncarrie
on 10/22/12 5:44 am - Garland, TX
Thanks Kathy! I think that is what is happening. Even though I think I'm eating slow & might not be eating slow enough. I didn't realize that we have to drink just as slow. I thought that fluids wouldn't be a problem but now I see that they have to be taken in with care too!

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm downloading a timer on my phone now. :)
Robin R.
on 10/22/12 5:54 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
kathy that's such a great idea! (i miss my iphone )

LiciaLou
on 10/22/12 6:02 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
I  get the feeling every once in awhile if I drink something too fast that is really cold. For the most part liquids don't bother me now but when I was about as far out as you I would get that knot quite a bit. Just try slowing down & you should be fine. GL!

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

Dave Chambers
on 10/22/12 7:26 am - Mira Loma, CA

Sip your water, about 2 sips (2oz) every 15 minutes throughout the day--starting and stopping 30 min. before and after eating. Do not drink with meals.  You have to small bites slowly.  One trick I heard of was at www.mydietdinnerware.com . They have a fork and spoon with built in red and green leds. These are timed to allow you to eat small portion chew well before you get a signal to eat a little more.  Another suggestion is NOT to engage in conversation, talk on the phone, watch TV, etc. while eating. Distractions from a coversation or a "funny" on TV, may distract you and you may swallow your food too early, or take a drink with your meal as you've done all of your life.  To me throwing up on a consistant basis likely indicates too much food of fluid was consumed too fast. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics