Home from hospital and in pain

dacia57
on 10/24/12 5:11 am
Just wondering how much pain most people were in on the third day post op. I have pains like I have done a hundred situps and pain in my back. Not sure if it is gas or is it normal to have this much pain.
justinplex
on 10/24/12 5:41 am - Kilgore, TX
I had gas/constipation related pains the 1st few days after I got home. Was really only relieved once I started being able to pass gas. Pain was mostly deep in my belly, no back pain.
 Justin T. Johnson                            
poet_kelly
on 10/24/12 5:48 am - OH
Sounds normal to me.  They cut you open, cut through muscle and fat and sliced up your small intestine and rearranged it and sewed it back together.  Then they stapled your stomach.  Seems like that would have to hurt a bit.   They also pumped your abdominal cavity full of gas, blew it up like a balloon, so they had room to work in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lindah55
on 10/24/12 5:55 am - OR
RNY on 10/09/12
Take your pain meds and walk.
sudemo09
on 10/24/12 6:25 am - Dover, NH
I took my pain meds pretty much every 4 hours round the clock for a full week.  Don't be a hero, take the meds.

Courtney P.
on 10/24/12 6:28 am, edited 10/24/12 6:29 am - PA
RNY on 10/18/12
It is normal to have the pain, so no worries.  I had my surgery 6 days ago and am still feeling pain.  Just take your pain meds, sip your clear liquids, and make sure you get up and about.

dfarmer1196
on 10/24/12 7:36 am
RNY on 10/16/12
I had surgery on the 16th and I still have some back pain.  The back pain I think was mostly gas.  The gas has improved on its on and I did not do anything other than walk.  So, are you taking the pain medication that they gave you?  You may need alittle bit every now and then.  But it sounds like your pain level is normal.  Stay strong.
rutabaga
on 10/27/12 12:03 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

I was on Dilaudid every 4 hours and then slowly weaned off them by the end of my third week post-op. I am in my fourth week post-op and have minimal pain (pain scale of one) and Tylenol works just fine. Take your pain meds as long as you need to take them, but wean off as soon as you can too. Sip, sip, sip, walk  and move around the best that you can. My back pain was intense. I figure it was due to laying flat on the hard operating table for 4 hours during surgery. I found that a heating pad placed on my tummy really helped too. This too shall pass. :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views