Going Nowhere Right Now

seanseosamh
on 10/25/12 6:41 am
I am 3 months post-surgery.
I'm stalled with weight loss after 60 pounds, because I am in pain (not-related to surgery).
It's sciatica.  I could cry every day.
I took prednisone after seeing an urgent-care doc.  It didn't help and my weight zoomed up.  I stopped.  I'm back very near my low weight.
I told the surgery doc and their PCP.  They are only interested in their area of practice.
I told my cardiologist.
I called my orthopedics doc.  He doesn't treat sciatica.
I called a neurologist office that I had previously seen for back problems.  Voicemail.  They didn't call back today.
I'll complain to my pre-surgery PCP that I see next week.
Right now, I just want pain relief.  And my weight loss program is stymied by pain.
I'm depressed.
justinplex
on 10/25/12 6:54 am - Kilgore, TX
 prednisone is going to cause weight gain, so its not good for people trying to lose weight
 Justin T. Johnson                            
Carol S.
on 10/25/12 7:37 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Does your insurance cover chiropractor?  I would see if the sciatica is caused by disk problems and then move on to a chiro.  
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

seanseosamh
on 10/25/12 8:13 am, edited 10/25/12 8:14 am

The strange thing is that I was going to a chiropractor for problems in the neck and shoulder.

He really helped.  Then the sciatica problem surfaced as he moved to the lower back.

In mid-September, it was much better.  Then I think that I did something..wrong exercise etc.

Much WORSE now after several daily adjustments.

I have mixed faith again in chiro, but think I have to stop for now.

I'm having so much pain!

PS.  I'm old.  Medicare provides some coverage.  My secondary insurance picks up 50% after a certain amount.  Have seen no reimbursement from them to them so far.  I remain disheartened.

Friendlybyte
on 10/25/12 12:18 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

My heart goes out to you!   "hugs"  I can some what relate to what you are going through.  I woke up from my bypass surgery with pain in my left thigh, later being diagnosed with meralgia parastica... Now I  am having pain in my right hip the doctor believes it may be arthritis, I had x-rays done and now  going in for a MRI... Most likely I will have to have a steroid shot to block the pain, I have been on pain meds since my surgery and want to be off them!  I do go to a Chiropractor 2 times a week for adjustments and acupuncture for both my thigh and hip pain!  I have been told my weight loss will stop and I get the shot, I am a cancer survivor and steroids was a big part of my treatment and with it gained major weight...  I think you just have to be patient with yourself and realize it's just what it is... a temporary set back... Don't let it be an excuse to go off your plan, stick with it!  Just know you are not alone we are all here for you!   Good luck and keep us posted!!  mail

SoCaPinkLady
on 10/25/12 2:19 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I have flare ups with my Sciatica. It's usually caused by sitting in a not so good office chair. I work a lot of Temp positions and some of the office furniture at some of these places have little to be desired.  The chiropractor has been my saving grace. Of course it takes many visits to get complete relief but I could never survive the pain without one.

Lori                               

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 105 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views