Newi - Why Gastric Bypass and not Gastric Sleeve

Kristenselfs
on 10/30/12 4:04 am - PA

I am new here as you probably can guess.  I am having trouble deciding between the two.  I do have a heart problem, sleep apnea, bi-laderal knee replacements and I am pre-diabetic.

I am like many of you were, scared, I am sure I am going to do a bariactric surgery, just not sure which one.  Did you consider the sleeve, and choose GB?  If so why?  Or did you just know you wanted the GV?

Any information will be greatly appreciated, as I am struggling.  Hope you take the time to answer me.  This is the first time I have posted been lurking for sometime though.

God's Blessings

Alice

shannon0731
on 10/30/12 4:18 am - LA

I went with by pass at the recommendation of the surgeon due to having had diabetes for 20years.  He felt that i had a better shot of getting off insuline with the by pass due to the actual procedure. I went from 7 shots a day and a pill twice a day to just the pill. I hope one day to be off that too. (been 16 months and 80 pounds)

My friends who have had the sleeve love it, my friends and I who have had the by pass love it.

Talk to your doc and see if other health issues you have might steer you toward one and/or away from the other

I'm Ready!

ktattwu
on 10/30/12 4:21 am - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

I chose bypass because of the long term results associated with the procedure and the amount of time the procedure has been performed.  The sleeve is still relatively new (in a medical time span) and they are still learning more every day about all the procedures.  After speaking to my doctor about the different options, I felt Bypass would be a good fit for me.  Studies have shown that 5 years post op, patients have surpassed their goal weight and are maintaining where as sleeve patients are simply meeting their goal.  I guess I've always been an over achiever. 

** Side note, I am not discounting any of the efforts by Sleeve patients at all.  I think everyone is strong and brave to take this step!**

missmomof4
on 10/30/12 4:27 am
RNY on 09/10/12

When I began my insurance's required education classes, I had never even heard of the sleeve. After learning about it in class, I was sure that was the route I would go and not GB. However after I met with the surgeon and spoke with her, the recommendation for me was GB. A few health issues, sleep apnea being one of them and my weight - I started at 366 contributed to her recommendation and ultimately that is what I decided on. I researched A LOT and I read a million posts on OH hahah. I am happy with my decision and think it was the best for me personally. 

I suggest you speak with your surgeon about your personal situation and do a lot of research so you can be will informed. Sleeve is great for a lot of people, I just felt GB was the way for me. I know it is confusing, I think speaking to a surgeon certainly will help you.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/30/12 4:29 am - OH

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jmjm55077
on 10/30/12 4:30 am - MN

I don't think there is a right or wrong here...each is so individual based on your perception, your doctors recommendation, and desired outcome. I had the bypass and it was a life saver...besides losing weight, I no longer have diabetes or high blood pressure. But other WLS can also have those outcomes...good luck with whatever you decide.

jane   

Megan K.
on 10/30/12 6:20 am
RNY on 02/18/13

I chose the Gastric Bypass for a much more mundane reason.  My insurance covers it.  When I started researching my options the first phone call I made was not to the doctors office but to my insurance company.  I found that they covered banding and RNY but not VSG.  So, that pulled the VSG off the table.  I also knew that banding was not for me, so it left me with the RNY.  I hope I will be very happy with it.

ShebasMom
on 10/30/12 6:46 am
Revision on 07/05/16

When I was researching, I wanted to have the sleeve. After meeting with the surgeon, he told me that rny was a better choice because of my severe reflux. Also, my insurance didn't pay for the sleeve. About 6 weeks after my surgery the reflux was better and I was able to decrease the head of bed from 45 degrees to 25 degrees. Now, I have it at 10-15 degrees, although I have not reached goal. (My weight loss has been slow and I've been stalled almost 2 months)

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Kristenselfs
on 10/30/12 11:16 am - PA

Thank you all for your honestly it is much appreciated.  I will research more and hopefully come to a peaceful decision.  As you all know coming to this drastic surgery is difficult in itself, now between the two I am confused.  Hopefully I will make the right decision for me.

Thanks again.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?