Hot Protein Drinks????

siamsa1
on 10/29/12 10:51 am
RNY on 07/17/12

With the colder weather starting to set in I'm looking for a way to have some hot protein drinks in the morning instead of my normal cold shakes.  I have some instant sugar free apple cider that I love but when I try to add protein powder it curdles.  Does anyone have some suggestions for hot teas, ciders, chocolates for the cold, winter months?

Jennifer

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/29/12 11:09 am - OH
In order to mix protein powder in a hot drink, you have to do one of two things:
1) mix the protein powder in when the liquid is cold or lukewarm and then heat slowly, stirring frequently. I have SF hot chocolate with protein powder most mornings and I heat it to warm but not hot in the microwave, add the protein, then continue heating in the microwave, stirring well about every 20 seconds. I can get it just to the point that it is too hot to drink this way.
2) make a loose/liquidy paste by mixing the protein powder and a few tablespoons of water. Heat the item the protein will be added to, and then slowly mix in the paste.

In addition to the SF hot chocolate with protein powder, I like the Unjury chicken soup protein powder, and I add unflavored Unjury to tomato soup or a couple of other cream soups. You can add it to broth based soups (and tea), too, but I have trouble with the milky color those items take on after you add protein.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AnniesSS
on 10/29/12 11:10 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I purchased "Health Wise" Mint hot chocolate from my doctor's office store. It's got 15 grams of protein and has been working great for me as my breakfast - it's super tasty!

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

brenlee1965
on 10/29/12 11:11 am - New Berlin, NY
I love that sugar free Apple cider, too....I use the GNC vanilla bean (premade drink) to add to my decaf coffee or tea....works great! I think I read once that people add the powder to cold and mix and then add to hot stuff.
 Bren                
Dave Chambers
on 10/29/12 12:42 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Some branded protein may make decent shakes. But the majority of them "glob" when they hit something above 130 degrees.  I've made coffee, stirred in about 10-12g unflavored whey isolate protein with about 1 oz of water to a creamer consistency, and then mixed it into the coffee.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude