Pre-op liquid diet help!!

Mercyg
on 11/2/12 8:49 pm - Hialeah, FL
RNY on 12/10/12

I start my pre -op liquid diet on the 12th....need some help and suggestions on what people had...I work at night and a little worry about options...... Please help!

poet_kelly
on 11/2/12 9:44 pm - OH

Didn't your surgeon give you a list of what you can have on the pre op diet?  All surgeons seem to have different recommendations, so you need to find out what yours recommends.

As far as working at night, how would that give you fewer options than if you worked days?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lisajamie
on 11/2/12 10:19 pm

I start my liquid diet tomorrow - I am permitted 4 bariatric shakes per day (prepared with skim milk or water), water/flavored water, propel, crystal lite, ocean spray lite juices (clear), chicken or beef broth...        remember, the purpose of the liquid diet is to shrink your liver for better surgery outocmes!!  You can do it!

Mercyg
on 11/2/12 10:25 pm - Hialeah, FL
RNY on 12/10/12
Thank you... my list is very vague waiting on an reply from my surgeon office with more detail list of things I can have...thanks for how or what you guys are doing
Ruth G.
on 11/2/12 10:55 pm - Grovetown, GA

I am just finishing my 2 week liquid diet, my surgery is Tuesday!  It was difficult at first, I had 2 ensure/high protein shakes a day and 3 oz protein/1 cup low starch veggie at night.  I kept a supply of sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles.  At least I felt like I was still treating myself. When I'd have a bad low energy moment, I'd have a Powerade Zero.  Also, Chicken broth/bouillon, yet stayed low sodium.   You can do it!  Just go 1 day at a time!!!!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Mercyg
on 11/2/12 10:58 pm - Hialeah, FL
RNY on 12/10/12
Thank you..
LadyAnastacia
on 11/3/12 3:32 am
RNY on 11/06/12

On my pre-op liquid diet my doctor doesn't allow us to have any solids (hence no 3oz of protein or veggies).  We have to have protein shakes that equal the amount of protein or nutritionist calculated for us, typically between 60-85 g, plus any liquid that is 15 calories a serving or less.  I love the Ocean Spray diet blueberry-pomegranite juice.  So that includes crystal light, diet juices, clear broth, diet jello, etc.

I have to say that my surgery is 11/6 and I've already lost 24 lbs on this diet.

Mercyg
on 11/3/12 3:37 am - Hialeah, FL
RNY on 12/10/12
Thank you those suggestions r great... I cant have any solid food either, my protein would be from my shakes....that is an awesome loss good luck on tuesday! !!
katmandu
on 11/3/12 6:58 am

My list was vague too. When I called to verify with the Dr. I found only shakes, water and raw veggies. Nothing else. The list was not vague, but that was all I got. 

Ajax
on 11/3/12 1:03 pm - Canada

Had surgery this past Tuesday (Oct 30) and for the 2 weeks preceding it, I was to drink 4 Optifast shakes per day, was allowed 1 Sugar free jello, broth, coffee or tea with nothing in it and 2 cups of Broccoli, green peppers, celery or cucumber.  I did not have a single day where I drank all 4 shakes, and in fact I am not sure I ever had 3.  After 3 days I stopped being hungry, and started really detesting celery.  After a week, this literally became easier than most things I've had to do.  Surgery day I was down 20 pounds, and everything went smoothly.  One thing though, DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!   Stay hydrated, and I hope everything goes well for you.  You CAN do this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views