What made you decide on RNY vs the sleeve gastrectomy?

LNC62
on 11/2/12 2:04 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Monday.  I was planning on the sleeve, but now I'm not sure.  I'm curious what made you choose the RNY vs the sleeve surgery.

Thanks

brenlee1965
on 11/3/12 6:18 am - New Berlin, NY
My doc thought that RNY was the better fit for me. I didn't want the majority of my stomach REMOVED from my body. I guess my thought there was....what if something happened to what was left in; then I would up sh@*t crick without a paddle. Plus, I think the more restriction that RNY gave me, the better for me. Now, I have a cousin that's doing the sleeve.....she picked that because she wouldn't have a TINY pouch to deal with or the vitamin regiment.
 Bren                
PositivelyPammy
on 11/3/12 10:16 am - CO
RNY on 07/16/12

I went with RNY over the sleeve because I needed the threat of dumping.  I felt that I would fail if I was able to eat anything only in limited quantities.  Well, I don't dump & CAN eat anything I want, but I don't.   I realize now that this is a life time change & that threat wouldn't last forever, then I'd be screwed.  Even though, my body doesn't get sick on sugar or fat I make the conscious decision to eat GOOD for me foods.  Not crap.   I had to get that thru my brain!!!

acochran
on 11/3/12 11:58 am - GA

I had originally planned on sleeve but because of acid reflux had to go with RNY !

Annie_Anaba
on 11/3/12 3:02 pm
RNY on 08/27/12

I chose RNY to get rid of my diabetic meds...it worked the first week. Also my bp meds are being lowered. The mal-absorption helps for the first year so we can use the tool to lose the weight and correct our co-morbidities. Now i have seen some post that there mal-absorption is still working after years post-op so one can but hope. Good luck on whatever you choose. One other thing...I see a lot of revisions on here from the sleeve to the RNY because the sleeve was not working for them. One more thing to weigh in your decision.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/12 3:22 pm - OH
The sleeve was not available 5 years ago when I had my RNY, but if I was making the decision today (and insurance covered both surgeries), I would go for the sleeve for two reasons:
1) because you can continue taking NSAIDs (Aleve, Motrin, generic Ibuprofin, Celebrex, etc.) with the sleeve. These are a no-no after RNY (except under certain limited cir****tances) because of the risk of ulcers in the pouch and blind remnant stomach. So if you take NSAIDs routinely now, or if you develop arthritis or something else that requires medication for pain and/or inflammation, you will be limited to Tylenol and prescription meds for pain and steroids for inflammation. (I have significant arthritis in both knees and really miss the Aleve and Celebrex.)
2) With the sleeve there is no need for the significant number of vitamin supplements (and the expense and hassle of periodic labwork, and the worry of nutritional deficiencies even with supplements) required as there is with RNY.

You will lose more slowly with the sleeve because there is no intestinal bypass, but studies show similar ultimate weight loss IF you are compliant with the post-op eating plan. Since the caloric malabsorption is temporary with the RNY (but lack of vitamin absorption is permanent), what you end up with is primarily restrictive after 2 years, anyway. So both surgeries require permanent changes in your eating habits to lose and maintain the loss (and only 30% of RNYers dump, so for most people there is no physical deterrent to keep them away from sugar).

Just my $.02 worth...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 11/4/12 12:24 am - West Chester, PA

my surgeon recommended rny because of my reflux. and my insurance not covering the sleeve helped make it an easier decision too.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
Recent Topics