Turkey Question

denaraye
on 11/2/12 11:10 pm - MI

I am going to a Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow.  I am only 7 weeks out and cannot tolerate chicken at all!  Can anyone tell me if turkey is any easier on the pouch?  I'm scared to try it in front of all my family (many of who don't know I had surgery yet). 

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

Hollyanimal
on 11/2/12 11:21 pm - WI
You will probably have the same results with turkey that you do with chicken, maybe even worse since it tends to be more dry. I wouldn't eat it.
Dave Chambers
on 11/2/12 11:23 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Dark meat is typically tolerated better, primarily because it's a moister part of the bird.  If you like white meat, you'll have to find some type of "dipping sauce" (low cal if at all possible) to use to help lube up the dry white meat.  Chicken is difficult for some post ops to tolerate, especially if they prefer white meat.  Yes the dark meat has a little more calories, but it's far easier to swallow.  Even at 6 years out, I still prefer the dark meat--white meat is still difficult to swallow.  If I eat some white meat chicken breast, it's typical that I instinctively have some papaya enzyme right after the meal--it helps digest the protein so I feel OK in the next hour or so. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JanBooth
on 11/2/12 11:46 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Maybe you could go to your deli and get a bit of turkey to see if it bothers you the same as chicken.  I love both and haven't really had any problem.  Of course, I chew, chew, chew until it's almost liquidy in my mouth.  I'm sooo scared of vomiting or some of the other things I've heard/read that I probably OVER chew foods.  Heck, I even chew cottage cheese, thoroughly,  and puddings!  lol  I agree about the dipping sauce, too.  It does help.  I make greek yogurt with seasonings....seasoned salt, if nothing else. 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Larry Wassmann
on 11/3/12 12:45 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

Dark meat is the answer. Maybe a little gravy on it. Make sure you measure everything. I can only eat 2.5oz of meat like that or I barf. You would not want to do that at the table you may start a Barf-a-Rama.... Do you live outside the US? Thanksgiving is not for awhile yet.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

denaraye
on 11/4/12 12:38 am - MI

no Larry I live in Michigan - but my parents leave Michigan for the winter so we are getting together today for a family thanksgiving. 

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

Kat Kat
on 11/3/12 1:18 am, edited 11/3/12 1:20 am - AZ

If you have a Boston Market in your area you could pick up some turkey with a side of gravy to go. They only serve breast though. You could get a kids meal which would save you a few dollars,  and wasted food because poultry typically dries out quickly, and becomes harder to digest. Pick up some Papaya Enzymes at your local pharmacy, they really help when meat gets stuck. Chew up 4 or 5 for relief. (Just as an aside, I don't advocate WLS patients ordering kids meals in sit down restaurants, but that's a whole other topic.) 

Have Fun and Enjoy the Day with Family!

Kat

lilbear412
on 11/3/12 9:33 am - MN

i can only really eat chicken breasts if i have them made in some kind of cream mixture to keep them moist.  Otherwise its to dry to eat and makes me feel sick, full and stuck.  So i also eat the thigh meat which is tender and awesome.  Same with turkey.  Try the dark meat its much more tender..  Good idea on getting some turkey and trying it first.  enlightened

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
Recent Topics