Opti-fast 1200 calorie program should i do it?

mzlaura
on 11/13/12 12:04 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I am thinking of doing the 1200 calorie Opti-Fast program. I have 10 more pounds to lose pre-op before i can meet with the director of the program and then the surgeon. I need to lose it by my next weigh in on Dec 12th. I have pretty much 1 month to lose 10lbs and i know ideally i could probably do it but afraid of taking any chances and surgery being bumped further down a month or two. My insurance changes and while bariatric surgery will still be covered i will owe another $4,000 deductible and i already met it for this year. New enrollment starts March 31st. I know this program should work as long as i follow it but at the same time with Thanksgiving, my daughters 8th bday on the 18th of this month, Christmas, ect would this be a BAD idea just to do for like 2 weeks to get the 10 lbs off? Figured i'd ask people's thoughts i do know it's expensive about $90/week. Any thoughts?? I have lost 17lbs since Oct 2nd on my own.. but idk?

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

garnetgal
on 11/13/12 12:28 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

Personally, if it were me I would try doing Atkins since it's a protein based diet, especially during the 2 week induction portion at the beginning. Protein, s/f jello, no pasta, bread, rice. Extremely similar to how you will have to eat after RNY. Additionally, the only cost is for your food, not a program. Also, try adding some walking, bicycling or some other form of exercise in. I'm sure you can make that 10 pounds in 1 month. Also, you wouldn't have to give up all of the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! You could still do the meat and vegetables without a problem! Good luck to you with your decision and on your journey!

poet_kelly
on 11/13/12 2:49 pm - OH

Why not just do a 1200 calories diet involving regular food?  It would be easier to stick to, cheaper, and have the same results.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Heidi T.
on 11/13/12 7:42 pm
RNY on 01/31/12

My doc put you on a 2 week liquid diet using protein shakes with these requirements:

1. 600 cals or less a day

2. 80 mg of protein daily

3. 100 oz of water daily (protien shakes count)

4. sf jello, or pudding only

my hubby had to do this an dropped 30 lbs in a month and it really wasnt expensive got the shakes at gnc I think he liked the whey metabolic shakes.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/14/12 1:49 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Just in case any newbies get confused, protein should read 80 grams (g) instead of mg (milligrams). 

I like this simple approach! I think I'll adapt it to 800 calories, 80 g protein, 80 oz fluids. It should help me get that grip I so desperately need.        

Laura in Texas
on 11/13/12 7:55 pm

I would do it. Take food out of the equation. It's a game, so play it to get your surgery scheduled. Take Thanksgiving off, or at least your main meal, but don't go crazy. Get back on the liquid diet the next day.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

irobot
on 11/14/12 7:32 am - Canada

My dr had me on Optifast 900, 4 packs daily with 350 ml of water (cold) but could also have clear broth sodium reduced and 8 glasses of water daily. I lost nearly 25lbs in 3 weeks!  I also cheated twice but it didn't seem to affect me too much.  I know you  can do it, the diet made it really easy to follow because I didn't have to wonder how to get my protein and whether or not I should eat this or that....also, use a blender, makes a huge difference!

BWB
on 11/14/12 10:14 am

Thanksgiving sweets and heavy, starchy, gravy, potatoes, etc.  aren't worth coming up with $4000. deductible.  Cramming your stomach with junk doesn't feel good afterwards so measure your food with enough to taste and enjoy your family.  

mzlaura
on 11/14/12 11:36 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Thank you everyone for your advice. I meet with the women tomorrow regarding the optifast program i would at least like to find out some info on it... i may do it and take a day off to have some turkey. Nothing like i used to obviously though. I will let you all know what i decide as of tomorrow.. i suppose it would save a lot of grocery bill $$ on my half as well because i eat some totally different things than my family such as the protein bars, etc.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views