Buyers Remorse?

irobot
on 11/14/12 2:20 am - Canada

I had surgery Friday, November 09 and am feeling a little like I might have made the biggest mistake of my life!

I have so much pain, it's ridiculous and am still pissed at the Ottawa Hospital for the poor attention they have provided since the beginning of this journey 3 years ago.  It's been one long road after another and now I'm sitting at home with my pain, and not really sure what to eat for my liquid diet. I hate the vitamins I'm taking and I know it won't be for more than 2 months but I regret my decision every time I either eat or am taking vitamins. I just started my bowl movements yesterday (4 times) after not going for more than 5 days...the pain was horrendous! Now it seems I'm going every 3 hours!

4 weeks on a liquid diet does not make me very happy, and now the pain doesn't help either.

Just gotta get it out, it's not like I have any choice in the matter anymore. Gotta say though, if you are planning on Ottawa hospital, I hope your experience is better than mine has been!  Very disappointed.......

Barbi468
on 11/14/12 2:30 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12

So sorry for you experience. :)

Wait till around the 4th week, you will see it gets better, thats when it got better for me, I didn't have the bowel movements your having though but it might be that liquid diet you have been on. I was on it a day before surgery and clear liquid a wk, full liquid second week and so on.

Hang in there,

Barb

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 2:32 am
RNY on 08/31/12

I had about 12 different types of protein shakes plus powdered protein that I pre-selected (Beneprotein). I had Atkin's Day Break drinks (just yummy) and SlimFast liquid shakes in every flavor (cafe yummy) and other Atkin's, too. I also had a spell where I didn't have a bowel movement for 5 days. Yes, very painful but I was told to use Senna in the beginning to solve that problem and yes, I pooped all day and got on the scale afterwards to just boost my ego each time. It was so painful to go at first that giving birth was much easier. 

May I ask if you contacted your doctor or the doctor's nurse or the nutritionist? My nutritionist helped with added advice about the BM problem (add a little Metamucil clear & natural to my drinks a couple of times per day). I was sent home with powerful pain meds that I didn't have to use but I did use my milder pain meds (Vicodin) instead as they worked enough. 

Also, at four weeks, can you thicken any of your drinks with greek yogurt? Yummy. I did and liked it. Also, can't you have cream based soups yet? I was on them 2 weeks out. Be sure to strain them from anything fiberous.

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 2:34 am
RNY on 08/31/12

Sorry, I misread that you are only about a week out. I thought you were 4 weeks. You're really in the raw right now but hopefully you can get creative with your drinks. Try partially freezing them or try warming them up in the microwave slightly. 

G. Vasquez
on 11/14/12 2:36 am - CA

Promise it will get better it will take atleast a month to feel human again it took me 2months my hubby 1month,,,hang in there,, i felt the same way about the vitamins but youll get useto it ,,it takes a while but u will its a new lifestyle!!we all did it so can u!!its ok to feel the way u feel we all go through the second doubts,,but i promise it will get better and it all will be worth it!! Hugssss

irobot
on 11/14/12 2:41 am - Canada

Thanks everyone!  I hesitate to call my nutritionist or anyone else at the hospital because of all the negative experiences I've had.  Honestly, I can only think of 1 good thing to say about the staff, 1 nurse after surgery who was young. She cared enough to give a little extra and that's the ONLY positive I can really offer from all this!  Sorry for the negative, that's my experience and normally I am very easy to get along with.

LadyAnastacia
on 11/14/12 2:44 am
RNY on 11/06/12

I had my surgery 11/6 and I have to say I really haven't had much pain at all.  I do have a pretty high tolerance, so maybe that is coming into play.  

My nutritionist provided classes and a whole bunch of documents on what I could eat and when, so I've just been following that.  She says the most important thing for me is to get 65g of protein each day.  I did 2 weeks of clear liquid diet before surgery (plus protein shakes) and I am supposed to do 1 week of liquid diet, then 4 weeks of pureed diet after surgery.

As for the bowel movement, I didn't have one til 7 days post-op, but it didn't hurt.

Just know that it will get better.  If you listen to the people here and take the "old timer's" advice they can help you get through difficult times.

Dee.spunk
on 11/14/12 4:04 am - Sacramento, CA
I know it's hard at the beggining. Hang in there! Soon you'll see how fast things go and how it is all totally worth it. HUGS!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

alwayswith0uty0u
on 11/14/12 4:22 am - PA

add me as a friend and read through my journal.. i was the same way as you and im pretty sure everyone else who has the surgery.. the first thought is wtf did i just do to myself but im a little over a year out and im happy that i had it done cus it was one of the best decisions i ever made.. for about the first couple months i threw up every time i ate and i still wouldnt change it for the world.. i just got married and for the first time in my life i felt extremely beautiful.. once again the best decision i ever made :-D

Dyneshia
on 11/14/12 7:20 am - Mabank, TX
RNY on 11/05/12

Sorry to hear you're having such problems. Not sure what to say other than words of encouragement that I'm sure it'll get better & improve for you. Then I'm sure you'll rejoice in your decision. Just stick with your plan 

I guess I've lucked out. My case is similar to LadyAnanstacia (my surgery was 11/5) & I haven't had much pain. But everyone is different, plus different doctors/hospitals/plans. Hopefully you feel better soon.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like

Most Active
Recent Topics