Calorie Intake????

smileywylie
on 11/14/12 7:09 pm

Hi everyone!!!! I have never posted on here yet but I get on here almost everyday...

I just was wondering what my calorie intake should be a day??? My doctor talks about the protein intake but I always forget to ask about calories???? 

And I will say I am having a hard time getting in my protein and my fluids.... It is kind of scary sometimes because I dont want my low fluid intake and low protein intake to catch up to me.....

I had my surgery on September 11th sooo its been a lil over two months since i had surgery.. My starting weight was 307lbs in February and I started my 6 month pre op diet... I was down to 278lbs the day of surgery and I am now 236lbs....So thats 41lbs since surgery and an over wieght loss of 71lbs!!!.... That a good amount right? To lose in 2 months???    

Thank you in advance... I read the forums all the time and it is such a good help and inspiration!!!

angeleigh
on 11/14/12 8:13 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I had my WLS on sep 17th, and for this stage i am told 70g of protein, 60-80 oz of water, and around 600-800 calories.

If you are having a hard time with protein and water intake, do a protein drink. I use Lean Shakes by GNC, seems to be one of the few i can stomach now.

Are you getting your vitamins? D3? Calcium? Iron? Is there a reason why you arent getting enough fluids? or enough protein? Some people get nausea alot but if you get more fluids that tends to go away. I know for me, i was having a hard time with my water, so i went and bought a slushie ice maker. I make my flavored water into a slushie.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

smileywylie
on 11/14/12 8:42 pm

I try to do a protein shake everyday... But for some reason after WLS I have had a hard time with drinking them, like you said... I dont like the sweet taste of them anymore... Yes I am getting my vitamins... I wouldnt say I get nauseated by food but I get bored with what I eat,.... It seems like I eat the same things... I really need to open my mind to different foods.

I will say my one big problem with eating and drinking is.... I remember that I need to drink then I realize I need to eat... so I drink a lil and then eat and then I cant drink for 30 to 60 minutes then before I realize I need to drink I need to eat again...lol... If you understand what I am saying.... I have gotten a lil better but still really need to work on things....

smileywylie
on 11/14/12 8:44 pm

Oh the slushie machine sounds nice... I may have to invest in one... Where would I find one and about how much do they cost????

angeleigh
on 11/15/12 12:03 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I just got one from walmart, for 15.00.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-WaveStation-4-Speed-Blender-Black/19699947 .

Also with the drinking and eating, you only need to wait 30 mins. I time myself once i stop eating i look at the time, then 30mins later im drinking. I try to drink at least 1 20 oz bottle between each meal. Also with my Lean shake i am drinking my first 25grams of protein as well as my first 14oz of fluid.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

MultiMom
on 11/14/12 9:31 pm - NH

Fluids are VERY important to your health and success!! Set a timer to remind you to drink. Really. Do it. Keep doing it. Set it for every ten minutes if you have to!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

JanBooth
on 11/14/12 10:05 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

My surgery was on 9/25/12, not long after yours.
On my 6 week visit with my NUT, she told me to not worry about calories just yet.  To use this time for establishing a good relationship with food...meals as instructed, measuring foods and getting in the proteins and fluids.  Unless you are eating several meals a day, or grazing, and are measuring foods (I'm on 1/4 c. at 3 meals a day), calories aren't going to exceed what you should be taking in.  I drink a lot of broths, hot decaf tea, hot chocolate protein drinks and whatever I can think to satisfy hunger, my fluid requirements and just the hand-to-mouth. 
There are great websites that have WONDERFUL recipes.  The one that Nik has, Bariatric Foodie, and another The World According to Eggface.  There are more, but I can't think of them right now.  Pinterest also has lots of Bariatric friendly recipes.  
I set my phone alarm to remind me that it's time to drink, after meals.  The other night, I went to the movies with my teen daughter, had a little bit of popcorn and beef jerky.  I set the alarm and thought it was on vibrate.  During the movie, my alarm went off.  Oh, I put my phone in my bra, so not only did it go off...it lit up my chest!  lol  One embarrassed teenager that night...

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

gbsinsatx
on 11/14/12 11:22 pm - San Antonio, TX

• *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-24 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *24 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 24 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months) (I eat 1800-2000 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4")
  • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 147 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?