Probably a dumb question but do i need to tell my surgeon this?

mzlaura
on 11/22/12 8:33 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

My mother also post-rny informed me that my grandmother who passed when i was little had phlebitis (blood clots in legs) i never told my surgeons office this when asked of history.. i totally forgot plus i had 2 c-sections and no problems with blood clots. Is this something they need to know regardless?

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 8:46 am
RNY on 08/31/12

Yes! But the good news is that the doctor will order lab tests and can tell if you have any tendency to form clots. It is a common test and one he will likely do anyway. It is not going to stop your surgery (something that happened to a grandmother is pretty far removed). I'm of old school; tell the doctor of any family history of medical issues. You need them informed.

Once I informed a doctor who was to do sinus surgery that a tonsillectomy doctor 20 years earlier told me that I bled too easily. The sinus doctor ordered routine tests and didn't see a problem but he told me just before surgery that he made a note of it and will have equipment and supplies ready if needed. I woke up after surgery with him still in his gown looking down at me saying, "Thank you for telling me about this problem. We were completely prepared for it and everything is just fine."  Later he told me that my telling him helped the surgery proceed on time and without complications. I always remembered that.

Pegblest
on 11/22/12 9:00 am
YES!

I ended up with a very large clot in my lung after surgery and now cannot walk too far without having shortness of breath.

Peg
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/22/12 11:10 am - OH
Yes, a history of blood clots in the family (no matter what the cause) is important for your surgeon to know. Even if you are not prone to clots, your surgeon will probably want to take some extra precautions or at least make sure the nurses know that you must adhere very strictly to the orders for walking after surgery and wearing the compression nits when in bed, etc.

This is DEFINITELY a case of "better safe than sorry", since a clot that becomes a pulmonary embolism (or travels to your heart or brain) CAN be fatal, it is very important for your surgeon to know.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/22/12 12:01 pm - OH

Yeah, tell your surgeon.  Any time you wonder if you should tell your surgeon something, err on the side of caution and tell him.  Better safe than sorry.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChristineB
on 11/22/12 10:04 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On November 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM Pacific Time, mzlaura wrote:

My mother also post-rny informed me that my grandmother who passed when i was little had phlebitis (blood clots in legs) i never told my surgeons office this when asked of history.. i totally forgot plus i had 2 c-sections and no problems with blood clots. Is this something they need to know regardless?

YES - you have a family history and it is very important that you tell this this.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

mzlaura
on 11/23/12 11:41 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Ty all will be informing my surgeons office immediately. Good thing my mom brought this up..

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views