Pouch Pain

sharoncarrie
on 11/26/12 9:30 am - Garland, TX

Question: I am 7 weeks out tomorrow & I'm still having some pain. Whenever I even drink it hurts. I don't gulp at all ..I make it a point to sip. No matter what the temp of the drink is it is painful for a few seconds. Eating does the same thing. I dont rush when eating & take small bites but there is a painful sensation when I swallow. It is hurting in my pouch. I think I'm dehydrated because I just cant bear to drink a lot of fluids & feel that pain. Although I am just guessing. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal at this stage. Am I not healed yet? Any comments are appreciated!

Annie_Anaba
on 11/26/12 9:50 am
RNY on 08/27/12

It does take a while to heal completely, but I would talk to your surgeon about it. You know its better to be safe than sorry. I am 13 weeks out and I realize that I will prolly become vegetarian because meats put me in too much pain. I also have to drink room temp to hot liquids. My body is completely different than it used to be. Hope you feel better.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/12 10:57 am - OH
You definitely need to talk to your surgeon if there is pain when you swallow, because none of the surgery involved your esophagus. If you were only a week or so out, it could be from the tube in your throat from surgery (which often causes irritation), but at 7 weeks out, that would not be the case (and at 7 weeks out everything that the surgeon DID work on should be pretty well healed).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sharoncarrie
on 11/26/12 11:25 am - Garland, TX
On November 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
You definitely need to talk to your surgeon if there is pain when you swallow, because none of the surgery involved your esophagus. If you were only a week or so out, it could be from the tube in your throat from surgery (which often causes irritation), but at 7 weeks out, that would not be the case (and at 7 weeks out everything that the surgeon DID work on should be pretty well healed).

Lora

I should have worded that more clearly. It's not pain in my throat ..it's pain after swallowing & it reaches my pouch. It's pain in the pouch itself.

emt_amy
on 11/26/12 12:22 pm - MN
Could be an ulcer, or stricture. I'm leaning twards structure myself. Call your surgeon.

Angel-MJ
on 11/26/12 7:52 pm - Barrie, Canada

I had surgery April 18 and I am still experiencing pain the same as you.  I am on stomach medication for this and I have tried twice to stop taking them but the pain is always there without the medication.  The doctor said I might have to take the medication for life. Drinking still hurts but not like it did at the beginning of my journey.  Hope it gets better for you soon. 

Most Active
Recent Topics