Limit to how much protein a person can use at one time?

Amanda M.
on 12/4/12 2:33 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Good afternoon! I have seen many times on here people saying that a person can only absorb a certain amount of protein at one time. I have seen 30 grams, 45 grams and 50 grams being the limit. Some people say it is not true, including my NUT.

So I guess I am wondering...is there a limit? If you say yes, do you have a reference you can share? And if there is an amount limit, there must be an amount of time that needs to pass before you can have more? Until food is digested? I guess the whole protein limit thing doesnt make a lot of sense to me, especially since multiple protein supplements are over 30 grams, and even some 50 or more.

Thanks everyone!

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/12 2:40 am
RNY on 08/31/12

I'm hearing that there isn't really a limit unless you have kidney or liver issues as they must help with protein metabolism. 

SarahLee1969
on 12/4/12 4:25 am - NY
"Limits" for kidey or liver issues has to do with limiting the amount of protein you take in to prevent "overwhelming" the organ with byproducts of protein metabolism/breakdown... versus a limit of how much the body can absorb.
Limiting intake for liver or kidney issues should be only under recommendations of an MD/RD and be specific to the stage of the disease and other treatments.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/4/12 2:43 am - OH

According to both the ASMBS and the NIH, the protein absorption limit is a myth:

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18490202

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amanda M.
on 12/4/12 2:46 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Thanks for sharing the links! I thought it was a myth, I am just glad to see an article about it.

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/4/12 2:43 am

I wasn 't advised of any limits by my program.

anewbeginning2012
on 12/4/12 2:58 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I wasn't told any maximum limit either...just to make sure I got 70 + in a day

Kris        
Adrianne_Dawn
on 12/6/12 1:56 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

I've wondered the same thing as i drink about 60-72 grams of protein in the morning time (Spread across about 3 hs). Although my nutritionist like your's has said this is fine. :)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/6/12 2:00 am - Baltimore, MD

Barring extreme cir****tances, this should almost surely NEVER be a concern of a post-op. We malabsorb protein so our bodies are perpetually in need of it. And if you talk to many vets, even ones who eat mega-high protein, their labs only run in the normal range at best but more likely on the low end of normal or low.

So eat your protein!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views