typical struggling with pre op diet post...

Amanda M.
on 12/12/12 11:13 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I cant believe I am posting one of these....but DAMN! I am struggling so much. I am on day 3 of my pre op diet. I started a day early, so on day 2 of required liquid diet. I have lost 7.8 pounds and that makes me happy. But I am SO hungry. I cant sleep because my stomach hurts so badly. I feel weak and dizzy and nauseous all the time, so I havent been making myself the shakes much. I got sick from milk, so I started using water. That is just....ick...so I only had one shake today. By 7pm, I was so shaky and dizzy that I knew I needed calories. I ate. Eek! I ate normal food. I know, I know!!!! I "cheated". But I have a hard time feeling like I cheated. I ate a small bowl of chilli. I feel a million times better. I had only had 150 calories all day. My body needed something. It is absolutely my fault that I only had one shake in the day. I went to the store and got almond milk to use with my shakes to see if that helps with adding some calories and making it taste better. My NUT said my shakes have to be at least 200 calories, preferably more pre op. With water they are only 150, with the almond milk they will be 210.

I know the pre op is hard. But today I just felt like my body was shutting down on me. I am going to be back in it 100% tomorrow. I am also going to call my surgeon to see what I can do to help increase the calories to a safer amount.

Okay....so...go ahead. Yell at me. I deserve it. *hangs head in shame*

Jenn C.
on 12/12/12 11:24 am - ME

One bad day is one bad day. It seems like you thought about what you needed to do differently and have a plan to do better. You can do it! Pick yourself up tomorrow - start fresh, get your protein and calories in. Not eating is not the answer. I hope the almond milk works better for you. Good luck!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

Amanda M.
on 12/12/12 11:31 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Thank you! I hope my surgeons office has some suggestions too. I keep telling myself I only have 8 days....that is it. 8 days of hell to get to the other side. I tried positive thinking first...oh, it is only a little over a week and the hunger isnt that bad, just drink more water....that didnt work. I have seen a million of posts like mine and knew it would be hard. I just didnt know how hard until I got here. I have considered backing out of surgery even. If I cant do 10 days of restricted eating, can I really do a lifetime? But I can do it. One day at a time.

Jenn C.
on 12/12/12 11:39 am - ME

You can do it - write down your plan and keep track of your progress. Don't think about the challenges in the coming years, just think about being prepared for the next few meals - baby steps! Before you know it, you will get into a routine. You will find what works for you, be it almond milk, chili, whatever. Just keep trying!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

cajungirl
on 12/12/12 11:26 am
It could have been worse (going off your liquid diet). You definitely can't survive on one shake per day I hope you find something that works.

I'm so glad my preop diet wasn't a liquid diet. I had to lose weight (10 lbs or so can't remember) and shrink my liver. Lean meats and green leafy veggies was my surgeons suggested program.

I do think I'd have had struggles to with liquids only. I've read many times after 3 days it gets easier.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

pastorkerry
on 12/12/12 11:29 am, edited 12/12/12 7:30 pm - GA
RNY on 12/20/12
Hang in there. I am on day six of my pre op diet. I am allowed to eat a small meal once a day. Others have posted they are allowed heathy snacks during the day. Talk to your surgeon and see if you can modify your plan. My NUT told me to do three protein shakes and two protein bars a day. When I had my pre op with the surgeon he saw that plan and told me to eat one low carb meal.
shygirlxoxo
on 12/12/12 11:42 am - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

The preop diet sucked! The only thing that saved me was chicken broth mixed with unflavored protien powder. I found some at kroger that was soy and like 10 dollars. Its not great but it helps when you just cant handle one more shake! Plus you can add various spices. Good luck

-Anna  HW: 401 | SW: 377 (12/04/12) Blog: http://notfattabulous.blogspot.com

Amanda M.
on 12/12/12 12:18 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Thats a great idea! I dont know why I never thought of that. Lol

laurie91566
on 12/12/12 12:12 pm - OH

I feel for you I have been on 5 1/2 carnation instant breakfast drinks for 6 days and still have 6 MORE days to go indecision, but I keep telling myself, I can do this !  My surgery is Dec 19th , if I try to keep busy its better, other wise I want to start chewing my arm off... I have been a good girl though... Best of Luc****ep us updated !  P.S I think I have only lost 2-4 lbs... (that sucks)

Heidi L.
on 12/12/12 7:07 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I had to do two weeks of liquid only pre-op diet. The first 3-4 completely without food is horrible. The sugar/flour and fat withdrawals made me feel like I had influenza, my body and head hurt so bad. After that you no longer feel the urge to eat.

The facts that helped to make me through it was if I ate they would either 1)postpone my surgery or 2)perform it open. I worked way to hard to even consider those as options.

Do not wait until the morning to make a pact with yourself to abstain. Start right NOW. You can do it!

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views