lactose intolerant and protein

Amanda M.
on 12/12/12 3:19 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
My nut is concerned about my lactose intolerance. The meal plan has a serving of milk three times a day. Without that, I will have to find somewhere to squeeze in protein. I thought instead of milk I could do a protein shake, but she said I could be taking in too many calories, etc.

Anyone else lactose intolerant? Do you find it difficult to get your protein in? They expect me to be getting at least 65g by my second week out, for sure by third week. My nut kind of freaked me out about this. Buuuuuut, I know nuts are often nuts, so I thought I would ask here before getting too stressed about it.

karenp8
on 12/12/12 7:31 pm - Brighton, IL

Have you ever tried using Lactaid milk or lactaid tablets? I have found that as long as I use the tablets as I begin to eat dairy I do just fine. 

angeleigh
on 12/12/12 8:53 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Since day after surgery I have been drinking GNC lean shakes. they are lactose free, only has 170 calories and 25 grams of protein. You can also do unflavored protein powder in your broth, water, diet hot cocoa (what i did). Trust me you will be getting about 400 calories for a while. The liquid protein shakes are great to make sure your getting your protein and some calories.

I have never heard of someone being told that doing a protein shake would be to many calories. LOL. GET YOUR PROTEIN, dont worry about the calories right now, also get your fluids in. One nice thing is the shakes count as fluids.

DO what works for you!! there are going to be foods that your pouch will not like some days. 

How many calories is she saying you should be having a day? I know for me right after surgery I was on liquids for the first week, then mushy foods, ect. You will see alot of doctors have different eating plans.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

pwarner372
on 12/12/12 9:22 pm - Mattawan, MI

Hi same problem I had surgery on 12/3.  I am somewhat lactose intolerant and just plain do not like milk.  I HATE the protein shakes!  I have found and easy and tasty way to get my protein in.  I buy the Starbucks passion tea (make 2 qt at a time) I mix it half with minute maid 15 calorie light lemonade.  I put 16 oz in a shaker cup along with one scoop unflavored now protein (25 gr) per scoop.  I mix that up and fridge it.  I usually drink 2 of those cups a day so I am getting 50 grams of protein just in my sipping.  I usually put a half tsp of Splenda per 6 oz cup.  It is delicious.  I can not choke down protein shakes.  I do put lactose free milk in soups and am able to eat yogurt usually mix in a Half tsp of now unflavored protein to boost my protein intake.  I guess u could use whatever unflavored protein u like but I like Now from my local pharmacy.

rocky513
on 12/12/12 9:24 pm - WI

I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate.  It is lactose free.  I put it in my coffee every morning.  it has 30 grams of protein for 130 calories.  I really don't think that is much higher  in calories than a glass of milk.  I am lactose intolerant, but I can eat greek yogurt and cheese with no problems.  The lactose in these foods is "eaten" away by enzymes during the processing.   I agree with you...Nuts are sometimes "nuts".  I would start using protein shakes ASAP.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 12/12/12 9:39 pm - OH

Does your nutritionist not have much experience with RNY patients?  Lactose intolerance is fairly common.

A serving of milk has about 100 calories and 8 grams of protein, so three a day would be about 300 calories and 24 grams of protein.  If you replace those three servings of milk with one good protein shake, you could get about 200 calories and 30 grams of protein.  Seems like a better deal to me.

You can use soy milk instead of milk, or buy lactaid milk, which has lactase added to it to help you digest the lactose.  Many lactose intolerant people can also tolerate raw milk well because it contains lactase naturally - pasteurizing milk destroys the lactase that we need to help digest the lactose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 12/12/12 10:04 pm - Brighton, IL

Ididn't know that about raw milk,Kelly. Thanks for the info. I was somewhat lactose intolerant before surgery and figured I would be after surgery. Guess what, I am!

cajungirl
on 12/12/12 11:15 pm

I don't do milk well either since surgery.  I use almond milk.  Not sure if you have an HEB locally but they have a lactose free milk called Mootopia that I use to love.  Since i've moved back to La. we don't have HEB locally.  Also soy milk or Calorie Countdown may be an option.

You could also drink a protein shake made with water.....more protein than you'll get in milk and no tummy issues.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

emt_amy
on 12/13/12 3:07 am - MN
the walmart lactose free skim milk tastes just like regular milk..... im intolerant too.

marysia cournoyer
on 12/13/12 3:19 am - CT
RNY on 07/10/12

I am lactose intolerant and have been since my surgery in July. I use lactaid milk and have no problems, I drink it use it for cooking and etc and it always sits well. I also use the bariatric protein shakes to make sure I get enough protein a day. I eat alot of chicken, turkey, fish and other white meats. My stomach can not tolerate red meat. So if your having trouble getting in your protein try avoiding the red meats and go for white ones. And drink lots of fluids. water esp. I wouldnt stress many people experience what your are right now. Worry about yout proteins not your calories so much. if your taking in your proteins right the calories will be low anyways and everything will balance out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 276 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views