Dumping on food that previously was ok?

BrennaRawks
on 12/11/12 3:14 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12

Oh I am not feeling so hot!

I'm a little over 2 months out. A few days ago, I had 4 small slices of D'anjou pear without any issues. Today with my lunch, I did the same but now I feel ill. Has anyone else had something similar happen? *sigh* I hate this learning to eat all over again thing. Been dealing with food aversions so my diet has been limited.

HW: 355 SW: 321 CW: 142 GW: 130

Lap RNY 10/3/12   Panniculectomy 8/6/14

Each day holds new victories!

robin1103
on 12/11/12 3:41 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

I feel like that with eggs.  One day I can eat them just fine and then the next day they can make me ill. 

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Niki L.
on 12/11/12 4:18 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Eggs and beef i just never know if they are going to stay down i just keep telling myself that i am just 8 weeks out and it must get better.

Ladytazz
on 12/11/12 5:00 am

In my first year or so it was totally random as far as dumping goes.  Of course I dumped when I accidently had things with sugar in it but I would also dump on things that I shouldn't have dumped on or I had previously with no issues, things like protein shakes and the such.  I can honestly say that is rare now.  I can't remember the last time I dumped, thankfully.  I have had a few slight episodes after eating something that were unpleasant but nowhere near as unpleasant as dumping, like mild discomfort after eating something high fat, but as soon as I realized that I was experiencing it it was subsiding.

It does get better.  The first year seems to be a learning curve as far as how you will react to food.  Many things I couldn't eat comfortably I was able to after time, like chicken for a long time made me feel sick but I persisted every few weeks and now I can eat it with any problems.

My sister, who had a RNY 10 years ago told me that she rarely has any problems now eating anything, not a good thing since she has had some regain.  I prefer not to test my limits and avoid things I know will make me feel bad like sugar and refined carbs.  90% of the time I have no food issues and the ones I have now are mild and not really much different then the things I experienced before surgery when I made bad food choices.  Personally, I have never been able to eat whatever I wanted without some kind of repercussions in some form, whether it was weight gain or feeling sick or queasy.  Today I prefer to stick with things that are tried and true and are the least likely to cause problems but that doesn't mean I don't veer outside those parameters at times, knowing there may be a price to pay and willing to pay it for whatever reason.  I make informed choices today, unlike in the past when I just did whatever I wanted and consequences be damned...until said consequences came home to roost.

It is all a learning process and sometimes I will learn and do better and sometimes I have to make a few mistakes along the way before I learn what I want to do to feel better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dave Chambers
on 12/11/12 6:25 am - Mira Loma, CA

If you ate the pear slices last, maybe you exceeded your normal "full"??  And yes, you can eat the same thing many times, and then sick one day. It could also be a couple of foods eaten together for lunch upset your pouch.  Learning to eat is an issue. Eating slow, not drinking with meals, portion control, food selections--all can be challenging for newer post ops. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/12 6:29 am - OH

What kind of "ill" are you feeling?  Most people don't dump on small amounts of fruit, and not every type of sick feeling is dumping.  As someone else already mentioned, perhaps you just ate too much food.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apurdie
on 12/11/12 11:15 am - CA

Thank you Ciecero girl!

Most Active
Recent Topics