Hair Loss

tparham1
on 12/13/12 3:10 am - Royal Oak, MI

Well my hair loss started right on time at month 3, i just hit month 4 on December 8th and i still have hair coming our like crazy. I've taken Biotin everyday since surgery so i can say for certain it doesn't help prevent the haIr from coming out and i even went and bought the Fall Fight Shampoo and Conditioner and still have major hair loss.

My question is when does it stop falling out and start re-growing? My hair was thin but i had a lot of it so it's getting noticable.

65rosesmom
on 12/13/12 3:41 am

I've heard it stops around month 6.  I am right there with you at 4 months post op and wonder if my hair can handle two more months of decreases.  Mine started in the second month and hasn't let up....just huge handfuls daily.  I can't even imagine a hair band would hold onto it in a pony tail its so thin right now.  

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 12/13/12 4:07 am - OH

It usally lasts for about three months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatMom
on 12/13/12 4:18 am
RNY on 07/24/12
Yep, I'm 5 mths out and I cut my hair really short and just bought my 3rd wig. I'm kinda liking the wigs but can't wait for my own hair to come back!
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

tparham1
on 12/13/12 4:38 am - Royal Oak, MI

Kelly I sure hope your right and it ends soon, this is crazy scary.

GirlyQ
on 12/13/12 4:57 am - ID
RNY on 07/30/12

I am at the same point right now too.  Mine started right around month 3 too - it was weird, just one day I totally noticed it.  It was like it started very suddenly.  My hair is very thin already so it gets kind of scary.  Luckily I feel a lot more confident about my body because of the weight loss so it isn't freaking me out as much as I thought it would.  I did cut my hair shorter, and am actually getting ready to go to the hair salon this evening and will ask my stylist what she recommends as far as cuts to make it look "fuller" for now.  Good luck!

Heidi T.
on 12/13/12 6:13 am
RNY on 01/31/12

I started at 3 mths slowed down at 6 and stopped at 9 mths. I am not really seeing much regrowth yet. I have babyfine and thin hair, yet i am not bald. It will grow back. Up your protien that really helped me slow to a crawl on hair loss. 

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Sherry T.
on 12/13/12 7:58 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

My hair was clogging the bathtub drain when it started...if I don't part it just right...when the sun hits my head...you see pure scalp....I did get it cut into a shorter style and so much easier....i finally am able to do the straight hair thing and just curl the top a little so i have some volume...but if I over curl it...then it looks like straw so I have to be careful.  My hair stylist said to keep taking my vitamins and eat my protein, whatever they told me to do because my hair was struggling right now.....in the pic is 3 months out and it still looks pretty full, i'll try and get a new photo up over the weekend.  No internet at home, so when i get opportunity, I grab the laptop and find some free wi-fi...lol  I'm 6.5 months out and it's slowed down considerably, I don't have to clean out my brush every few days because it's so full of hair....I started taking biotin too not sure if that was around when it was supposed to slow down or if they really helped.  Even my Mom was starting to panic about it.  So, ofcourse that freaked me out!  hang in there, this too shall pass! Just one of the side effects that we have to deal with. :(

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/13/12 8:12 am - OH

It lasts from 3-5 months.  Mine started growing back just as the last bit of loss was happening.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything that will prevent the loss.  Just be sure to get enough protein so you don't make the loss any worse.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jilly Bean
on 12/13/12 10:12 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Mine started at 2 months and is pretty much back to normal. I used biotin shampoo but hair started growing on my butt so I stopped.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.