Grazing

Trianni
on 12/20/12 10:56 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

I've gone from eating a little every two hours to grazing constantly, and I've gotten away from eating the things I'm supposed to be eating. Not getting nearly enough protein. I can't seem to stop stuffing myself, either. Especially in the evening. I keep thinking that its just a matter of making up my mind to get back on track but I can't seem to do it. I'm on disability so I don't work and I have a lot of free time on my hands. To make matters worse I have very little income to spend on active pursuits. I think I'm bored and I know I'm depressed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/12 11:04 am - OH
I would strongly suggest counseling to try to get a handle on why you cannot control the grazing and why you are sabotaging yourself with not eating the right foods and not enough protein. Many people need professional help to address the emotion/psychological aspects of our obesity in order to be successful long term.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Trianni
on 12/20/12 11:43 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

I'm actually already in counseling because I'm bipolar. Eating is only one symptom of my illness, though. I also like to spend money, money I can't afford to spend. I'm pretty certain that if I drank alcohol I'd become an alcoholic, too. I've been giving thought to trying Overeater's Anonymous again. I've attended meetings in the past with mixed results. If nothing else I think just being around people, of interacting with them, would do me a world of good. I spend entirely too much time alone.

Dee.spunk
on 12/20/12 11:18 am - Sacramento, CA
Maybe you could go for walks or take up a hobby like knitting. I like to watch movies while knitting. Keeps my hands and mind busy. I take my dogs for walks, do Zumba in my living room, play the wii, or just go to the mall and walk around.

I don't keep food that I can graze on in the house. If I'm hungry (or think I'm hungry) and its not time to eat, I make myself wait at least ten minutes to see if its true hunger or just head hunger. I drink water during this time too. Usually it's just my head and eyes that are hungry, not my pouch.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Trianni
on 12/20/12 11:38 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm the first to admit that I need to become more physically active, if for no other reason than to work off nervous energy. I've had several people suggest that I try knitting or crocheting. I tried to teach myself but wasn't successful. Maybe I can find a hobby shop somewhere that would know someone who would be willing to teach me. There's actually a lot of things I'm interested in but most are cost preventive. Maybe if I keep looking a solution will present itself.

MultiMom
on 12/20/12 7:50 pm - NH

It doesn't address your need to get out, but try You Tube for directions for knitting or crocheting. Lots of local hospitals need newborn hats or shelters need hats and mittens. You could help yourself and others at the same time!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Trianni
on 12/21/12 1:29 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

Thank you! I hadn't thought of You Tube. That's a great suggestion!!

Rebecca

wmamey
on 12/20/12 6:14 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On December 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM Pacific Time, Dee.***** wrote:
Maybe you could go for walks or take up a hobby like knitting. I like to watch movies while knitting. Keeps my hands and mind busy. I take my dogs for walks, do Zumba in my living room, play the wii, or just go to the mall and walk around.

I don't keep food that I can graze on in the house. If I'm hungry (or think I'm hungry) and its not time to eat, I make myself wait at least ten minutes to see if its true hunger or just head hunger. I drink water during this time too. Usually it's just my head and eyes that are hungry, not my pouch.
Dee - thanks for the reminder about hobbies. I think after the holidays I will start to crochet again, maybe do some needlepoint or cross stitch too. I haven't done a project in a long time. Think I'll find some really soft yarn and make my granddaughter a blanket!
I needed some inspiration, thanks!

65rosesmom
on 12/20/12 11:53 am

To avoid grazing, I eat by the clock.  I plan my day ahead of time and eat only at those set times.  In between, I try to drink something, not so much because I'm hungry, but just to stay hydrated.  If I were to graze, then I'd never get in my fluids.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Trianni
on 12/20/12 12:21 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

I think your suggestion is a good one. I need to plan my meals, something I've never done. I started out just eating a little every two hours, like clockwork, and I was careful to only eat what I was supposed to eat. Then I had some problems with tolerating foods (meats especially) and also problems with one of my meds. It was making everything taste bad but I didn't realize it was my meds that was the problem. I thought it was just my taste buds changing after surgery. Eventually the only things I could stand to eat were salty foods, particularly potato chips and crackers. My surgeon's nurse took an interest in my case and figured out that my meds were creating problems. The meds were changed and the bad taste has gone away but I'm left with the bad habits I've fallen into. One thing I don't have a problem with, though, is getting my fluids in. I am easily putting away 45-60 oz a day in spite of my grazing so there's hope!