I'm alive!

Lose_to_Win
on 12/21/12 9:38 am - PA
RNY on 12/20/12

Had my surgery yesterday - arrived at the hospital 10 AM, got called back to change and start going over final paperwork within 1/2 hour, into surgery around noon. Took 8 tries to place 2 IVs - and one was on the underside of the wrist of my dominant hand - OUCH! Anyway, it went off without a hitch - was very very sore and groggy when I woke up, dry throat and mouth like crazy, but all the nurses and docs were so kind, patient, and helpful. The sponge-on-stick mouth swab was my BFF that first afternoon/evening/next morning! Then got my swallow study this AM around 10 (disgusting taste...), and was allowed to star****er soon after! 1 oz over 15 minutes, 4 times (4 oz in 1 hour) - since that went fine, was allowed to drink at my own pace. In early afternoon got switched from PCA morphine to oral liquid oxycodone - what a difference! What I thought were originally post-op icky feeling symptoms turned out to be morphine side effects - and the weird weepy/emotional for no reason feelings went away right away too! 

Had a protein thick liquid thing and some broth for lunch - went very very slowly. For dinner they brought:
- apple juice
- coffee
- lemon italian ice (2nd ingredient? sugar...)
- beef broth with little bits of meat in it...
- protein thick liquid

WTF?!?!? Took 45 min to get a replacement of chicken broth...with no protein stuff (had already mixed it into beef broth before realizing the issue). Chicken broth had chunks of meat! Then another 30 minutes, finally got 1 c chicken broth and protein liquid. Managed to get the whole thing down within 1 hour, no problems! My surgeon was around today, said I am doing great and, barring any crazy things coming up last minute, should go home around lunch time tomorrow!

Number 1 tip: get the mouth swabs, bring chapstick

Number 2 tip: get up and walk as much as possible - I have been walking 15 minutes, about 4-5 times/day - helps SO MUCH with the gas/air.

RachelFat2Fit.blogspot.com     HW 367 6/26/12  |  SW 335 12/20/12  |  1st GW 180

maryottawa
on 12/21/12 9:54 am - Canada

Congratulations on your new stage angry, I hope that you recover soon. Thanks for your advice, I'm write all, to be ready to my big day.  Merry Christmas!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Neaucora
on 12/21/12 12:32 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

Congrats!!! welcome to the loosers bench!

When I got my first meal, it was all wrong too! Good for you to make them right it. I ended up drinking the chicken broth, and leaving the rest for the dr to see the next morning when he made his rounds. Boy, was he upset over that!!!

Another thing I found that really really helped with the gas, was at home, I would prop pillows up and sleep on my side and the pillows pushed on my belly and really helped move that gas out. Thank god! And of course, walking walking walking! 

Take care and keep up the good work!

Bernikma
on 12/21/12 9:16 pm

I'm 4 days out of surgery and still feeling extremely bloated and engorged...is that normal?  I can hardly get my water down because of this "full" feeling.  I'm wondering is it still air/gas???  How long does this last.  I'm miserable and feel like I've gained 100 pounds.

Neaucora
on 12/22/12 3:17 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

Yes, its totally normal. Your new pouch is about the size of an egg. And with it just being made, its swollen from the surgery and like the size of a walnut. Just keep taking tiny sips. It will get better, I promise!

The gas, I had gas for about a week.Laying on my sides and kinda almost on my belly really helped move the gas out, I used lots of pillows because I was so sore. But nothing is better than walking it off though. When they opened your body up, they had to fill it with gas to give room to do what they needed to do. And so you have gas that is in your body cavity that will absorb into your instestines and you will pass it. And they also opened your instestines and got gas in there too. I watched the surgery on YouTube quite a few times before surgery so I knew what to expect.

You are doing great, this feeling will pass and you will feel much better soon!!!

Bernikma
on 12/22/12 6:02 am
Great to hear. Thanks for the news. Ill stop worrying now. I thought the gas should be gone by now. Patience I will have!!
Annie_Anaba
on 12/21/12 12:50 pm
RNY on 08/27/12

My meal had carbonated water with it, lol. I was told about a person who had RNY and was given a full regular breakfast the next day. HE ATE IT ALL!! Needless to say he was taken back to the OR and had to be operated on again. So.....we are ultimately responsible for what we put in our mouths. You were right to turn it away. Congrats on the surgery and good luck.

PhillyGal135
on 12/22/12 12:08 am - Phila, PA
RNY on 01/07/13

Congratulations on your surgery.   Thank you so much for your post.   My surgery is in just a few weeks and what you wrote really helps.  I love how detailed it is!    Best of luck and success in your journey.   

Arlene

Most Active
Recent Topics