HELP IM DESPERATE

ppete
on 12/27/12 8:08 am

hI IM 7 YEARS POST-OP AND HAVE GAINED 50 LBS  I WANT DESPERATELY TO RID THIS WEIGHT   HOW DO I GET BACK ON TRACK    i REALLY NEED TO DO THIS BUT IM STUCK   ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL GREATLY BE APPRECIATED

THANKS

Ladytazz
on 12/27/12 9:53 am

Since no one has chimed in I guess I will.

First off, toss the carbs, bread, crackers, candy, cake and other snacks you may have. 

Next, protein first before other things.  I aim for 100 grams of protein a day.  If you start with protein you probably won't have much room for much else.  I eat my protein and then a few bites of my vegetables and that is usually it for me.

Fluids, at least 100 oz a day.  Keep a water bottle handy.  But not with meals or for at least 30 minutes afterwards.  If you have gotten back into the habit of drinking with your meals, stop it.

Move as much as possible, either with a structured exercise program if possible and if not then do what you can.  Park further away and walk, take stairs instead of the elevator.  Walk your dog.  Go to the mall and window shop.  Whatever you can do to incorporate activity in your life.

Forget 5 day pouch tests, liquid diets or any other quick fixes.  This isn't a race.  It may take you a while to lose the 50 lbs, probably longer then it did right after surgery.  Get rid of the scale and expectations.  Your goal right now is to improve your eating habits.  The weight will come off when you do that.

Stay accountable with others.  Go to a support group locally if you can.  Check in here regularly and post in the daily eating thread.  Anything to remind yourself on a daily basis that you have had surgery and you have certain things that will help you lose the weight.

Go to your doctor and make sure your surgery is intact and there hasn't been a mechanical failure.  Also, get your labs checked thoroughly and correct any deficiencies and make sure you are getting adequate supplementation.  Get a bone scan to make sure your bones are good.  Work with a nutritionist if you need to, same with a counselor to address whatever emotional issues you may have that cause you to turn to food.  If you think you are a food addict or compulsive overeater, find a 12 step program for help and support.

You can do this.  We are here to help.  Utilize all the help you can get and you will be back on track in no time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Hvfaith
on 12/27/12 10:15 am - St Albert, Canada

Ladytazz said it well.  Document every bite, don't allow yourself to fool yourself on portion sizes. There is no quick fix, but never lose faith in yourself as it can be done.

HW: 360 lbs; 1st Clinic Weighin: 343.7 lbs; SW: 318 lbs; LW 221lbs; Regain 256lbs  

Mal
on 12/27/12 10:54 am

Ladytazz hit every point.  Only thing I would add is to seek out alternative ways to cope with stress, anxiety and emotions that do not involve food.  Take a walk, practice some deep breathing and get into what is called 'present time'.  You would be surprised how the reactive mind works and often where our anger/sadness/frustration actually comes from.  I have started journaling again and this helps me.  Feel your emotions for what they are, experience pain, anxiety, etc. and things that are difficult. 

Good luck!  If you really want to change only you have the power to do it.

M'Lane

happygrandma
on 12/27/12 11:35 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

YOU ALREADY DID THIS, WENT THROUGH THE HARD PART.  YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.  I"M ONLY 10 DAYS OUT BUT I KNOW I WILL STRUGGLE WITH THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/27/12 11:38 am - OH

The only thing I would add to what Ladytazz said is to identify where you went wrong the first time.  Being aware of the things that tripped you up the first time around will tell you what you have to be extra vigilant about this time around.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LaToya N.
on 12/27/12 12:12 pm - MD
RNY on 11/19/12

I'm just weeks out of surgery but what I can suggest is talking with your NUT.  That's what was suggested to us in the class.  Good luck

new4me
on 12/27/12 10:11 pm
RNY on 12/13/12

Everyone is spot on...I would also suggest that you track everything you eat.  I use myfitnesspal.com and it helps me to stay accountable.  Sometimes when we can see what we've eaten we make better choices the next time around.  Good luck and stay in touch with us!

HW: 257 ConsW: 248 SW: 237 CurrW: 165.2 GW: 150 (then we'll see how I feel)

Without struggle, there is no progress - Fredrick Douglas

ppete
on 12/27/12 10:31 pm

Thanks for all the help   i did contact my dietician and shes getting me back on track   as u all have said I can do this.  Im not the lil red engine that says i think i can im the engine that says i know i can     again thanks to all of u for the help   any more suggestions will be greatly be appreciated

ppete
on 12/27/12 11:18 pm

can someone please give me a list of all  the vitamins and the doseage that we a suppose to be on

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views