Got the plan from my surgeon..reasonable or drastic?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/3/13 11:40 am - OH

All of the stoma re-sizing procedures have TERRIBLE success rates and I don't think nay insurance policies cover any of them.  Besides, even if the pouch and stoma are somewhat enlarged (less than 20% of the time in my surgeon's experience), there is still a lot of restriction compared to the natural stomach, and the weight gain really comes down to what people eat (and how much)... Food choices and portion control are FAR more important than pouch size.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apurdie
on 1/3/13 1:15 pm - CA

Thank you, Lora, for the clarification. 

MyLady Heidi
on 1/3/13 2:10 pm

Losing weight is hard yet very doable if you want it bad enough.  I keep myself at goal by going on frequent diets where I clean up my eating to near perfection and stay between 1000-1200 calories a day.  If you can handle protein drinks go for it, I refuse to drink any calories so I cannot do that diet.  I drink either iced tea or water with lemon all day and Nothing else.  I start eating with dinner, followed by one or two protein rich snacks.  It works for me and keeps my bloodsugar normal, I have RH and eating during the day can trigger a crash, not eating keeps my stable.  If I am off and get exercise I do eat beforehand but my job as a systems analyst means I seldom move from my office ever for 8 hours besides walking 10 steps to the bathroom.  You can do this but you have our work cut out for you.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/14 7:05 am - riverside, CA

I would suggest a protein only diet with some veggies.  What a bout a band over bypass?  You will need to go thru carb withdrawal it is 10 days or less of hell then you will be fine.  Your Dr could have offered some appetite suppressant to get you thru that.  Then it is a lifestyle you can add some fruit once you have met your goal.  You need to be diligent about your MVI as any deficiencies will make your appetite high.  You may  have an overgrowth of bacteria in your gut and a course of Flagyll for 10 days will cut WAY down on your gas as will the low carb diet.  I am having the same exact struggles though I have not gained ALL my wt back but quite a bit of it and am about to do the same thing I am recommending to you.  We are worth it.  You should also be scoped to check the outlet of your stomach it nay be stretched out and you never stay satisfied for very long.  I have that issue and am considering a work up.  It is easier for me to fast than to eat as it triggers my appetite:(

chulbert
on 2/21/14 10:07 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Sounds like the Slimfast diet to me.  I'm sure it will work if you stick to it but it's a diet in the end and I wouldn't recommend it.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views