cold

65rosesmom
on 1/4/13 10:24 am

I am so bothered by the cold this winter.   My fingers are turning blue, my feel are always cold despite wool socks and either warm boots when out/slippers when home.    I've never had this before.   I figured it was from losing weight and all my "padding".      But then I wondered if maybe its a vitamin thing as well.   I'm in Ohio and its been very cold out lately.   Am I the only one struggling with the cold?

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Calla Lily
on 1/4/13 10:28 am
RNY on 01/23/12

I'm always cold now too!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

angeleigh
on 1/4/13 10:32 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I bought a small throw heated blanket, that i use a lot.  Also I wear thermal underarmor shirts most days with a hoodie over it.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

emt_amy
on 1/4/13 10:39 am - MN
oh im freezing all the time now!!!! i wear thermals under shirts and sweatshirts. i live in central mn so i feel your pain on the temp issue. have you had your vitamin levels checked lately?

invest in an electric blanket for your bed, i love mine. i also have one that only cost me $20 at walmart that i cuddle up with on the couch. and i drink lost of hot coffee or tea.

65rosesmom
on 1/4/13 10:47 am

I'll go for my 6 month vitamin levels at the end of the month.   My three month showed my ferritin a little low, I have since doubled my iron intake.   I wonder if low iron can make you cold.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

emt_amy
on 1/4/13 10:58 am - MN
Yea it can. Iron deficiency anemia has coldness as one of the symptoms. Also since we lose weight so fast our bodies can't really keep up with warmth. Once summer arrives you'll feel lots better too.

pattyjonichols
on 1/4/13 10:41 am

Hi:  Oh how I can identify with your COLD issue.   I had surgery Nov. 16 2012 and before surgery I was always hot like hot flashes and even in the Winter I slept ONLY with a sheet and sometimes a small fan.  House temp was 68-69.

FORTUNATELY someone who had the same surgery years before told me I'd be freezing after surgery.   Recommended I buy fleece lined sweat shirts and lots of sox.   I just laughed at them.  But my dear husband didn't laugh and went out and bought these items for me.

OMG, I love that man.  From day one I was cold.  I mean bone chilled cold.  Now I admit lower Michigan can get cold but I thought I was going to freeze to death.   I piled a sheet, cover, coverlet and a furry blanket on my bed and turned the temp up to 71*.  Fortunately my husband works nights so I could do this.    But now I'm close to 2 months post-op and things are returning to normal.   But all night the covers go on and then off,  maybe a sheet and 1 blanket but other nights all three.  

I'm sure this isn't forever but I'd check with my nutritionist just the same.   So rest assured, you are not the only one going through this.   I think we have the same weather...I'm just 30 min. north of the Ohio/Michigan border.  The good thing about this site is, you can always find someone, somewhere who has been through this too.

Hang in there....

Pat

New Boston, Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/4/13 10:49 am
Yes, me too. I live in the temperate Pacific Northwest, but I still freeze. I walk around the house bundled up like the Malt O Meal kid.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/13 6:25 pm
RNY on 08/31/12

I'm freezing all the time now. Live in Seattle so it's not the severe cold like other parts of the country. Two days ago, when temps lowered to below freezing, I wore two pairs of skirts (one to the ankle), two tops (one a sweater), two pairs of socks, boots, down coat, and two pairs of gloves just to take the bus to work and back. At least I didn't get too cold. I work inside a building and was not too warm but comfortable. That is how I have to dress now to handle chilly weather. I hear that it will get a "little" better after a year or so.

Tammy H.
on 1/4/13 8:26 pm - Greenville, OH

I know exactly what you mean by getting cold more easily since losing weight...I am from Ohio also...Here's a poem that I thought you might get a kick out of...Tammy

Why I Love Ohio In The Winter Time

When its winter time in ohio

And the gentle breezes blow

About seventy-two miles an hour

And its twenty-two below

You can tell you're in ohio

Cause the snow's up to your butt

And you take a breath of winter air

And your nose holes both freeze shut

The weather here is wonderful

So I guess I'll hang around

I could never leave Ohio

My feet are frozen to the ground

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.