What to pack for Hospital?

helenm71
on 1/6/13 10:14 am

I have to bring my cpap machine butu i wondered if i should bring a robe for walking or do you not even need one? thanks

WifeMama
on 1/6/13 10:18 am
RNY on 06/21/12

I didn't use a robe, they had bariatric sized gowns and we just did one in the front and one in the back (to ensure the flap wasn't going to give anyone more than they bargained for!).  You'll likely be connected to a pain pump so you wouldn't be able to get a robe on anyway (because of the IV).  I would also highly recommend bringing chapstick or some sort of lip balm.  Congrats on beginning your journey!!

Zeigled
on 1/6/13 10:19 am - Parkton, MD

You don't HAVE to - you can wear two gowns - one forward and one backwards.

HW 357 SW 341   

helenm71
on 1/6/13 10:22 am

thanks!

Dee.spunk
on 1/6/13 10:31 am - Sacramento, CA
I took a robe, but i only used it the last day there and on the way home.

The one thing I'm glad I took was Chapstick. My lips were super dry and it helped so much.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

karenp8
on 1/6/13 11:55 am - Brighton, IL

Make sure to put a pillow from home in the car for the ride home. You won't want the seatbelt rubbing on your bruised stomachon the ride home!

Jilly Bean
on 1/6/13 12:10 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I brought my own slippers. I hate hospital socks. I also used my iPad some. Mostly I slept. I also suggest your own toiletries (deodorant, body wash, etc)

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

pattyjonichols
on 1/6/13 1:04 pm

Hi Helen

I'm a C-PAP user too and the Doctor said to bring my C-PAP, hose, tubing and headgear (w/extra headgear if possible).They will furnish distilled water if you use a heater.

I packed like a huge suitcase (must have thought I was going to the Bahamas -- it never made it out of the car.)

What I did take was:  

• My own pillow from home (C-PAP users kind of get use to their own pillow that fits their tubing and headgear)
  • House slippers (prefer ones with solid bottoms so I wouldn't trip when walking)
  • Chapstick, small bottle of cologne (you'll see why later) Hair Brush and Comb,)  Call your hospital and ask  if they provide other toiletries.
  • Small bottle of Shampoo  and I really needed some kind of head wrap.  I had a lot of C-PAP hair do's.
  • Even though I was 65, I knew I could have some unplanned leaking (diarrhea and bleeding) so  I bought a package of "OVERNIGHT" size Sanitary napkins... am I glad I brought those with me.  
  • A housecoat was of no use because I had IV's.... but I did have a warm poncho and a warm cape...which I was grateful for.  They even covered my exposed side when I walked to the bathroom. 

Mostly you sleep.  If you have a TV you are covered for entertainment.  But again, mostly you sleep.  If it is cold where you live make sure you have your pillow and perhaps a car blanket for the trip home.  Rubbing seatbelts do NOT feel comfortable.

OH YES, before you go to the hospital, I recommend you take up any lose rugs or trip hazards in your home.  Dogs & small children that are going to be jumping on you should remain in another room until you are settled in bed.  My husband made me a comfort basket,  that sat next to my bed (before I left).  bottles of water, Kleenex, flashlight, Protein drinks, magazines, Crossword puzzle book and Skaddo etc; paperbacks;  pen with  pad/paper  &  a floor wastebasket.  I was happy we did all this PREP for my homecoming  BEFORE I left for the hospital.  Try to get your MEDICATIONS ahead of time and have them waiting at home.  In fact anything you can do ahead of time will help your caregiver.  YOU WILL NOT BE DOING ANYTHING.

No lifting, shoving, moving, unpacking, laundry etc;   Don't even think of it.

Hope this helps you ---

Patty Jo

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

JJ_
on 1/6/13 7:39 pm

Bring earplugs.  Unless you are in a private room, you need to rest without being disturbed.  I agree on needing lip balm and I also used the ice chips from the hospital floor kitchen to suck on.  They were heavenly after the tube they put down your throat for surgery.

Judy

Lori F.
on 1/6/13 7:43 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

The only things I brought that I used where my own toiletries and hairbrush and my chapstick.  Everything else stayed in my bag.  I even wore the same clothes I wore to the hospital home because I only wore them for a couple hours or so.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Most Active
Recent Topics