Nutribullet's claims about absorbing more nutrients

kathyshrinks
on 1/11/13 3:43 am, edited 1/11/13 3:43 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12

I searched this site and didn't find any answers to this particular question.  Does anyone know if using the Nutribullet (it's not a juicer, it just grinds up the whole food) could lead to a RNY patient absorbing more nutrients?  I realize the downside of turning stuff into liquid before ingesting it (it won't keep me full very long), but I wondered about the whole absorption thing.  I am probably going to buy one anyway because I need a new blender, but would it really improve my nutrient absorption?  I am looking for solid information, if anyone has it.

robin1103
on 1/11/13 4:08 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

I wouldn't think so because if it's a liquid its going to go straight through the pouch.  Just a thought!!

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/11/13 4:17 am, edited 1/11/13 4:17 am

The food get absorbed in the small intestines - not the pouch. The smaller the particles - the easier is for the body to break it down and absorb.  If your theory was correct - we could not absorb proteins from protein drinks.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pattyjonichols
on 1/11/13 11:43 am

Just to clarify !    My surgery called for the removal of 10 feet of my small intestines...that leaves me with just 2 feet left... are you saying all the absorbing is now done in those two feet?  I would think the pouch must have some absorbing process.  

Since I'm not a Doctor I don't know...but I could have sworn at one of our Nutrition classes this was covered.  I guess I'll have to ask my surgeon at next Monday's meeting.

Thanks for your info, now I'm curious.

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/11/13 1:45 pm - OH

No, your pouch absorbs VERY little of anything (as did your natural stomach).  The nutrients are absorbed in the intestine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 9/15/13 2:00 am

The average human has 25 to 30 feet of small intestine, and I highly doubt your surgeon actually REMOVED any of it. A typical RNY bypasses about 3-4 feet of small intestine, leaving you with more than 20 feet that works jut like before.

The only things much absorbed in the human stomach are aspirin and alcohol.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/11/13 4:24 am, edited 1/11/13 4:29 am

here is what I found... and I heard that many times.   It makes sense that to be able to absorb nutrients - we need to be able to either chew them to a very - very fine mash or bend them so the nutrients can be released. BTW: if you take flax seed - whole - and don't chew well - the flax seed - the whole would come out - so you would not be able to absorb most nutrition from it - but if you grind it - the finer the grind - the more of the seed you can absorb and assimilate. Breaking the cells and the "other layers " of vegetable skin can have benefit to be able to absorb more from it.

I.e. frozen blueberries - due to freezing process that breaks the cells are better for us than fresh, some with tomatoe cooked vs. raw. More lycopene is available for absorption.

"Just eating raw vegetables is healthy, but to release these healthy chemicals for maximum absorption you have to break into the plant cells, since we do not have the
enzymes necessary to do that. Blenderizing the vegetables. . . . releases these chemicals in high concentrations so they can easily be absorbed. . ."

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

wendydettmer
on 1/11/13 4:47 am - Rochester, NY

it's not any better for you then any other high speed blender, but I do believe the high speed blender makes a difference.  When I was researching which blender to get when I started doing my green smoothies, the high speed blenders liquify the spinach, kale, etc.  It breaks it down SO much more then anyone could by chewing.  

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Souperwoman
on 1/11/13 6:15 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

When I was in the hospital post-surgery, the first nite i was so sore I couldn;t move to reach the remote.  The stinkin nutribullet infomercial was on late nite tv no less than 3 times that evening.  Perhaps it's a sign! :D

Another Fatone
on 9/14/13 6:11 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I like mine. One of my favs is black bean soup.

Just my 2 cents.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?