Post-op exercise

misssarah661
on 1/12/13 6:00 am - OR

I am a little over 3 weeks post-op and have been walking for moderate exercise as well as staying super busy at work!  (Went back way to early, an now paying for it).....anyways, I need some ideas for low impact exercise such as cardio or anything to get me moving and losing weight!  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Sarah

Lose_to_Win
on 1/12/13 6:23 am - PA
RNY on 12/20/12

I've got some fitness video games for my PS3 (assorted sports game, Zumba game, another dancing game). How about a stationary bike or elliptical, if you have access to one?

I am stuck on walking right now...my surgeon requires walking on flat surfaces ONLY for the first 6 weeks. I'm going a bit crazy...half way there, but getting my time in! I recently joined Planet Fitness, which is great because it's climate controlled, has TVs so I don't get bored, and it's pretty cheap! And, they have plenty of staff to help you learn the correct way to do things. Perhaps you have one in the area? I'm very pleased so far with it.

RachelFat2Fit.blogspot.com     HW 367 6/26/12  |  SW 335 12/20/12  |  1st GW 180

misssarah661
on 1/12/13 6:34 am - OR

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.  I do have an elliptical, exercise videos, and belong to a gym.....I just wanted to make sure I am not going to hurt anything inside.  My surgeon said no weight lifting or strenous activity.  I will start off on the elliptical slow paced and go from there.  I love my gym too!  Have you noticed more weight loss with exercise, or have you gained because of the gain in muscle?  Thanks!

Sarah

Lose_to_Win
on 1/12/13 6:40 am - PA
RNY on 12/20/12

Mine said the same - sounds like you are getting the same "itch" as me! I'm just over 3 weeks out too - RNY on 12/20/12. So I'm not really far enough out to compare initial weight loss vs. muscle mass, etc. Hope you are able to keep entertained while getting your cardio in! One thing that helps me just do it (as Nike says) is LoseIt.com (and also the app). When you expend a certain number of calories/week, or exercise a certain number of days in a row, you get "badges". They don't mean anything in the real world, but it's fun when I get that message and go check out my new one! It's also really helped me so far to get my fluids/protein in. The one thing is that some of the nutrition stats are a little off on certain items - I tend to pick a food and eat it over and over (do the same thing with clothes - I don't have "outfits", I have a "uniform"!) so I just make sure everything is accurate the first time and correct it if not - then I'm good to go!

Just more thoughts in case it's useful to you, especially in getting motivated to keep on walking, no matter how boring it might be! Good luck!

RachelFat2Fit.blogspot.com     HW 367 6/26/12  |  SW 335 12/20/12  |  1st GW 180

misssarah661
on 1/12/13 6:58 am - OR

My surgery date was also 12/20/12.....I need to start incorporating some low impact cardio and some low key workout videos......went back to work last Monday (WAY TO SOON, paying for it now), but couldn't afford to stay home financially.  I am going to check out the Loseit.com and go from there....thanks for the excellent feedback and resources!  Stay in touch!

Lose_to_Win
on 1/12/13 7:01 am - PA
RNY on 12/20/12

Yeah the first 2 weeks for me were surprisingly easy, I considered going back to work this week...then I started pureed foods last weekend and found out it takes all damn day to make sure I get everything in! It gets a little easier every day, I know I can do it.

That sucks you weren't able to take off the time you wanted/needed. I count myself incredibly lucky to have a great, understanding, flexible boss. That, and having a couple months of sick time saved up (100% pay) doesn't hurt! I have 1 more week off, I think I will be fine to go back. Energy-wise I'm good, have stopped needing a nap the last few days which is promising, and have been crazy bored for the last 2 weeks. The nice thing is that I've been able to take care of projects/errands I've been meaning to do for a while, and take it easy a bit. I ended up having to set an alarm in the morning to get up and start eating/drinking/taking vitamins! I find it pretty funny that, after having surgery to help me not be such a fatty, I spend all damn day focusing on eating and drinking! :)

misssarah661
on 1/12/13 7:18 am - OR

LOL!!  Great post!  So TRUE!  Stay in touch~ Friend me~!  Good luck!  Talk with you soon.  I am going to go for a walk around the park with my son!  Sudden motivation!

justinplex
on 1/12/13 6:40 am, edited 1/12/13 6:40 am - Kilgore, TX

almost 3 months out here, and my workout partner is almost a month out. we just joined the local fitness center today. as of now we plan to walk a mile as a warm up, m/w/f do upper body workout, t/th lower body, and cooldown with a few laps on the pool there. saturdays are for raquetball/basketball etc...

prior to that we just walked anywhere from 1-3 miles m-f...

Justin T. Johnson                            
Most Active
Recent Topics