Appointment with surgeon Jan 23rd and lab results were flagged?

mzlaura
on 1/15/13 12:56 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I had these labs Jan 4th and nobody called me with worries. My lymphocytes are low at 20 and they are supposed to be 27-44 or something but in June they were also low. What could this mean? Could this delay my surgery at this point i could be possibly looking at end of Feb or possibly first 2 weeks of March. All my other labs though however are normal including my total WBC count. Just the lymphocytes are a little above normal. Any input or anyone gone through this.. will this push my surgery date out further?

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

BWB
on 1/15/13 1:27 pm

One of the benefits of this surgery is all the exams that you go through to insure a safe surgery.  I failed my stress test but it turned out to be wrong.  I'm grateful to know that my heart is fine but at least I know.  You are lucky to be under such excellent care.  A delay will give you a little more time to start exercising and be prepared when you do have it.  Good luck.

JJ_
on 1/15/13 5:33 pm

Lymphocytes

0.8-3.3

A lymphocyte is a type of white blood cell in the vertebrate immune system.[1]

Under the microscope, lymphocytes can be divided into large lymphocytes and small lymphocytes. Large granular lymphocytes include natural killer cells (NK cells). Small lymphocytes consist of T cells and B cells.

I let google be my friend on stuff.  I am over one year out from surgery now.  I have had blood work taken since before surgery as well.  I put all the information into an EXCEL spreadsheet so that I can know what my information is.  I also created a word document with an explanation of what the normal range is (blood requisition has that info) and what that particular blood test measures.  So you can see, your lymphocytes need to be in a normal range in case your body needs to fight an infection post-surgery.  Call and ask if you will be required to start any particular vitamins to improve this number or what is the protocol to handle this or are they not worried at all.

Good luck.

Judy

mzlaura
on 1/16/13 12:46 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
Well I just put a call into my pcp and she is not concerned she said my lymphocyte # is normal as well as my wbc count its just the lymphocyte, percentage that is a little low. Hopefully the surgeon feels the same since my pcp doesn't see something really alarming.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views