1 week post op RNY revision - laparoscopic removal of blind limb, death of my Poppy

LadyKatarina
on 1/25/13 1:47 am, edited 1/25/13 1:56 am - Harrisburg, PA

Hello All,

Well, I went through with the surgery.  I had a "blind limb" which is a bulge off of the pouch that takes in additional food but doesn't digest it properly, increasing the capacity of my pouch, which was also stretched out.

In April I will be 12 years post-op from RNY gastric bypass, which I had at age 20.  I was good the first few years, but got lazy, discovered alcohol and overate the past few years.  I kept 140 lbs off but regained about 40 lbs from my lowest post-op weight. 

A week ago I had laparoscopic removal of the blind limb, and surgery that returned my pouch to 1/2 cup capacity.  I had viewed this surgery as almost voluntary, figuring I could keep living the way I was, even with the gradual weight regain.  In fact, the Dr. discovered the blind limb was the SIZE OF A TENNIS BALL.  It basically doubled the amount of food I could take in.  So, it was a very good thing I had surgery. Now, if only I can accept that fact, and not go through the "what did I do!?" phase everyone goes through.

It has been a long week.  I am going through the same things as a regular first time post op, except I can take in more liquids. (On full liquid diet still).  My 5 little incisions are healing now and my pain has gotten to acceptable levels.

Yesterday my grandfather died.  The funeral is the day I was going to get to see my Dr. again, the day I would transition to soft foods.  I am sad, and grieving on top of the depression of my post op thoughts.  Strangely, one of the many things that bother me is the fact that I'll be attending the funeral luncheon and probably not be able to eat any of the food. 

Not sure why I am even posting...I just needed to reach out. 

Kat

Brenda S.
on 1/25/13 1:55 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

Hi Kat,

I'm sorry for your loss.  It must be really hard to have the post-op blues on top of losing a loved one.  Hang in there.  Let precious memories of your Poppy comfort you. 

Blessings,

Brenda

LilyBugsMommy
on 1/25/13 1:56 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I am sorry for the loss of your grandfather. It sounds like a lot of stress for you right now. Try to take it minute by minute and not overdo it for yourself. Remember that you need time to heal, both body and mind. You have done this before, you can do it again! We are here to support one another in any way needed.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

wdwgram14
on 1/25/13 2:06 am

well sounds like you need a BIG (((((HUG)))) Sorry for the loss of you "Poppy" , hoping you feel better, even though Time seems like an enemy to us , Time will heal you , and remember Poppy is alive in your heart and everytime you think of him he is near you :) the food you cant eat will be the pounds u do lose ((hug))

rbb825
on 1/25/13 2:53 am - Suffern, NY

I am so sorry for you loss.  I know how you feel.  My mom died a few weeks before I had my Reflux back in 1998.  It was really hard.  She was around during the planning stages but not when I actually had the surgery.  The recovery for that surgery is very similar because you start on liquids and slowly progress to mushies, etc.

Then when I had my gastric bypass, the day I was to progress to real food was probably the hardest day of the year - Thanksgiving - yes, my first of being allowed to eat real food was the biggest feast of the year.  It was really hard but I got through it.  I just took a tiny bite of everything. It was actually good because I got to see what foods I could tolerate.

I wish you the best and hope your recovery goes well.  I lost all 3 of my grandparents so I remember the loss well.  It hurts.

rbb

Kat1313
on 1/25/13 7:13 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

So sorry for your loss.  Sending good thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

LadyKatarina
on 1/25/13 10:14 am - Harrisburg, PA

Well, on the positive side, I was just told by my nutritionist that my Dr. approved me to move to soft foods starting today, since my revision was only work on the pouch, not the intestine.  (2 days clear liquids, 5 days full liquids, now 1 week soft foods)

This will at least make my eating on the funeral day a little easier.  I can pack a cup of Greek yogurt, an egg, some protein shakes and a serving of tuna fish and I'll be covered for the day. 

Thank you all for your support,

Kat

4/20/01 Original RNY Gastric Bypass   Start weight - 340  Lowest weight - 155

1/18/13  Revision - Laparoscopic removal of blind limb  - Start Weight 195

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?